Homemade incubator for button quail!

Rashid100

Songster
5 Years
Jul 13, 2014
Hey guys. It's my first time hatching eggs in a bator. It's currently day 2 of incubation, 14 days to go can't wait! I made my bator for under $20. It's a cooler from walmart with a dc fan and 13 watt bulb inside. I know it's very messy looking, but does a good job maintaining humidity and temp. So far the temp is 100 and humidity is 55 (the hydrometer shows 70 because it tends to show 15% high. I did the salt test to find out) the bottom is a baking pan with shelf liner taped on top. To hold the eggs I flipped around the carton they came in and cut little holes. Also made a calendar to keep track. It's got boxes for each time the eggs get turned and at what time they are. If anyone is interested in the full cost breakdown feel free to ask :) hopefully I'll get a good hatch rate :D

Here are some pics :D I put a cardboard piece with foil wrapped on it in front of the bulb to protect the eggs from direct heat. The ventilation holes are for oxygen.

Good Luck. remember to go into lock down on day 13 and remember your counting starts from the first full 24 hour period then that is one! So if you put them in at noon on Monday it would be day one at noon on Tuesday! Give them up to 20 days.
Let us know how it goes!

Thanks :D I will definitely update u guys after candling on day 5

Last edited:
Looks good, hoping it works out well.
I have Never had any luck with my Store bought Incubator so maybe if this works out well for you I may have to try something like this myself cause I don't know what I'm going to do when I start getting eggs from my girls.

Jayare

U should definitely give it a shot. Cheap and effective (so far) I candled yesterday and saw some veins. It was hard cuz button quail eggs are so small and dark. Hopefully I'll have some chicks soon :D

Cost breakdown for anyone who might be interested:

Bulb holder: $4.03 (ebay)
Dc fan: $.99 (ebay)
Thermometer: $7.89 (ebay)
Cooler: $2.28 (Walmart)
Glass from pic frame: $1 (dollar tree)
Duct tape: $1 (dollar tree)
Baking pan for bottom: $1 (dollar tree)
Shelf liner for bottom: $1 (dollar tree)
13w cfl bulb: had one lying around but should be 1-2 bucks.

i posted a video of the bator. heres the link if anyone would like to check it out :D

I suppose the captions only appear when you watch the video
On a computer. That stinks.. I get it's one boring video without captions

Back
Top Bottom