Homemade Incubator Question...has anyone ever....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by groominginla, Feb 20, 2011.

1. groominginla

groominginla Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2011
    Bogalusa, LA
    thought of using an old food dehydrator for it's element instead of using a light bulb? Would it generate enough heat do you think?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Never made one, but here is a bump for ya.

3. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Yes. I have tested ours and it puts out too much heat. But I would interested in maybe testing if other brands have different heat....?

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

It would work. Anything that puts out heat will. I like using hairdryers.

5. groominginla

groominginla Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2011
    Bogalusa, LA
    I was thinking, cuz our little ceramic heater went out(bad elements) but it has a totally awesome thermostat with a remote control that you can actually set the temp on. well...i dismembered it and am planning to build my own inky with said thermostat and infared remote. I have an old dehydrator and since the element was so similar to the one in my hova bator, i though it might work. I guess i could dismember one of our spare lamps...lol. but my DF might not appreciate such actions... especially since he is not happy about the bator full of eggs on the counter in our kitchen [​IMG]

6. bluegoose

bluegoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    The dehydrator element will work as long as you have a good thermostat. I have made 3 with these elements and they work fine.the main thing in building your own is a good thermostat.

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    the little coffee warmers that the thrift store sell here for like 1-4 $ are 17-32 watts they work

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by