Homemade incubator ?

Hjax81

Chirping
Jan 14, 2019
Glenville, PA
Quick question...
So I'm thinking if making my own incubator to start, since I don't plan on hatching too many at a time. Like maybe a dozen. Question is: if I make my own incubator can I still use an auto-turner? Or do they only work for purchased incubators? I'm not a stay at home type, and neither is my husband.
TIA

What do you disagree with? That in my opinion it’s a great experiment? That I’ve had awful hatch rates with them ?
my experience with homemade incubators ?

The statement of “its just best to buy one”. That’s your opinion and I’m ok with it, I just disagree. Building a robust incubator takes a little work but usually less money is spent for a way better product. Also I suppose a level of understanding comes in to play too. There are several decent store bought incubators out there and some terrible ones. If you buy one, spend the money to get a good one. Too many times people are let down and disappointed with what they bought. I’ve hatched 10’s of thousands of eggs and run well over 90%. This is out of 3 cabinets and 5 hatchers that were built in my shop many years ago. I don’t fiddle with them or constantly adjust. I’ve got one cabinet that has been loaded for 2 weeks now and I haven’t opened it once or adjusted anything. FedEx guy just dropped off the internals for another cabinet about 30 minutes ago. Ugh lol.

There is plenty of knowledge out there on this forum, lots by myself and others that hatch a lot of eggs. Use the search function and start reading is my best advice. Ask questions.

Great experiment but from all the attempts I’ve had at making a homemade incubator they have awful hatch rates. It’s best to just buy one.
I'm thinking about getting a used one for starters of fb marketplace. That way I didn't invest too much if I decide I have too many ducks and don't need anymore (more like run out of room).

The statement of “its just best to buy one”. That’s your opinion and I’m ok with it, I just disagree. Building a robust incubator takes a little work but usually less money is spent for a way better product. Also I suppose a level of understanding comes in to play too. There are several decent store bought incubators out there and some terrible ones. If you buy one, spend the money to get a good one. Too many times people are let down and disappointed with what they bought. I’ve hatched 10’s of thousands of eggs and run well over 90%. This is out of 3 cabinets and 5 hatchers that were built in my shop many years ago. I don’t fiddle with them or constantly adjust. I’ve got one cabinet that has been loaded for 2 weeks now and I haven’t opened it once or adjusted anything. FedEx guy just dropped off the internals for another cabinet about 30 minutes ago. Ugh lol.

There is plenty of knowledge out there on this forum, lots by myself and others that hatch a lot of eggs. Use the search function and start reading is my best advice. Ask questions.
I'm really loving this forum. Everyone is so helpful and nice.
Thanks!

Turners are avalible for sale seperatly and you could use one, but i think theyll be larger than your wanting. you'll also want to make sure to take into acct how the turners motor will add a little bit of extra heat. An egg nestled right next to it might hatch early.

Back
Top Bottom