Homemade Mason Jar Waterer and Feeder for my Girls.

FrugalMommaof3

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 8, 2011
Has anyone made their own waterer using a mason jar? I am trying to recover the cost of my girls everywhere I can and actually like the idea of homemade everything! I feel it unnecessary to buy something if you can make it yourself. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

I have used an old one gallon milk jug. Just cut a hole on each side of the jug a few inches from the bottom. The holes should only be big enough that the hen can get her head and neck into. This keeps them from scratching the feed everywhere, like thy do if you just use an open pan or pale. This technique also works well when watering baby ducks. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Yes, we have one, but they do tend to make a mess with them.

Sorry, the one I have is for food not water.

The rings with the little holes around them can be used for food or water. We use one and it isn't bad at all. I have seen people take those rings and attach PVC pipes to them too for an easy feeder.

I use a large pan with a smaller pan inside. They can scratch in the smaller pan but the bigger pan catches anything that gets out of the smaller pan. There is not enough room for them to scratch between the pans. At the end of the day I pour what is in the bigger pan back into the smaller pan, when the crumbles get too fine they get dumped at their favorite scratching spot in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom