Homemade organic feed?

Little-Farmer

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 23, 2015
Ok all, I'm on a mission!

I need organic feed. It's a necessity for us. But it's costing me a fortune to ship bags of organic turkey starter feed in because no around me sells it. I'm paying over $70 with shipping for a 40lb. bag. (Gasp!) That's not including adding the quinoa and chia seed to bring up the protein from 26% to 28-30%! My birds are laying like crazy right now but considering I have no idea how to proportion this stuff, I may be feeding them 45% protein for all I know!

So here's what I"m thinking. I've seen organic chicken feed at the store. It is possible to supplement quinoa, flax seed, chia seed etc. to make it the right nutrients for my quail that would be cheaper?

Please don't just tell me yes. I'm a "follow the recipe to a tea" kinda gal. If you know how to do this can you give me an idea of the amounts so I know what to do.

I know there are way to add protein through things like bug and meal worms but I have no idea how much of anything. Is it once a month? Once a day?!

There's gotta be a cheaper way!

Thanks for your HELP.

It sounds like you've kinda answered your own question. Also soubds like your not using a recipie now either. I say buy the chicken feed locally and add in a mix of all the otger stuff to bring up the protein. Its easy math, but just guessing you can add say 5 lbs each of the other stuff to a 40lbs bag of feed

Back
Top Bottom