Homemade saddle for hen, what do we think?

Heihei1923

Chirping
Jun 29, 2020
I made this saddle for her today to protect her from anyone potentially nipping at the new quills. As their starting to come in it seems and iv been waiting for her to get her feathers back for 6 months now. A sneaky a** sister pulled them out while she was vulnerable laying her first egg.

She tried nipping the elastic band to pull it off but after 5 min she went out and about scratching and running etc. does not seem to be impeding her at all. Stops once in awhile to nip at it.

It’s leaning towards one side a little because she keeps yanking it over...But then she fluffs up and it re adjusts. It’s 2 separate straps sewn in at the top and then button in under the wing. I think if I made it 1 solid strap it would have stayed centered better.

—Obviously have to trim it up a bit. going to cut the excess off the sides where it’s hanging off her and cut a little notch by the tail feathers.

Hopefully she gets used too it and all goes well. I want her to have her beautiful feathers back.

Attachments

• FA773B76-DD7C-4AE4-91F8-F49ADBCED9F7.jpeg
    FA773B76-DD7C-4AE4-91F8-F49ADBCED9F7.jpeg
    917.8 KB · Views: 23
  • AEF750ED-1AAE-499D-9180-E8D9AC385DFC.jpeg
    AEF750ED-1AAE-499D-9180-E8D9AC385DFC.jpeg
    857.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 7EB30E28-B470-47C1-B135-63867B83DF9B.jpeg
    7EB30E28-B470-47C1-B135-63867B83DF9B.jpeg
    888.9 KB · Views: 24
  • D50370E2-3D98-4CFE-9C25-8A39DB2559C0.jpeg
    D50370E2-3D98-4CFE-9C25-8A39DB2559C0.jpeg
    606.1 KB · Views: 22
I made this saddle for her today to protect her from anyone potentially nipping at the new quills. As their starting to come in it seems and iv been waiting for her to get her feathers back for 6 months now. A sneaky a** sister pulled them out while she was vulnerable laying her first egg.

She tried nipping the elastic band to pull it off but after 5 min she went out and about scratching and running etc. does not seem to be impeding her at all. Stops once in awhile to nip at it.

It’s leaning towards one side a little because she keeps yanking it over...But then she fluffs up and it re adjusts. It’s 2 separate straps sewn in at the top and then button in under the wing. I think if I made it 1 solid strap it would have stayed centered better.

—Obviously have to trim it up a bit. going to cut the excess off the sides where it’s hanging off her and cut a little notch by the tail feathers.

Hopefully she gets used too it and all goes well. I want her to have her beautiful feathers back.
Cute! Great idea!

I think it looks great! Just some trimming at the end, which you said you were doing, and I think it’ll be perfect! Great job! Hopefully her feathers will grow back soon!:woot

I think it looks great! Just some trimming at the end, which you said you were doing, and I think it’ll be perfect! Great job! Hopefully her feathers will grow back soon!:woot

Uhg I know. I’m praying they do. I was SO mad when I walked in on her laying and one of the girls picking her feathers. She’s just hanging right now with it on she stopped picking at it and she even took a dust bath in it and had no issues so I’m super relieved.

Uhg I know. I’m praying they do. I was SO mad when I walked in on her laying and one of the girls picking her feathers. She’s just hanging right now with it on she stopped picking at it and she even took a dust bath in it and had no issues so I’m super relieved.
That’s great! I’m glad she doesn’t mind wearing it :)

Back
Top Bottom