Homemade water heater

Bejep714

Songster
Feb 2, 2021
South East PA
20220108_085957.jpg

I made this water heater out of a cinderblock and some stone. I have a lizard so I used his old bulb inside of it and it's supposed to heat the water. I checked after 4 hours of heating and the granite looking top part is hot to touch. The cinderblock around it is warm but not too warm, and the rock on the bottom is still very cold, but I only touched the edges. The bulb is touching the granite part so that's probably why it's so warm, but I'm a bit concerned about a few things. Would directly under the cinderblock be warm? Only plywood and straw is underneath it, so should I check? Also would the plastic melt sue to the heat? Has anyone done this before?

This type of heater can work. How many watts is the bulb?

Whatever the wattage of the bulb, I would check it often for the first few days at least.

My family used similar heaters on our farm but I wasn't in charge of designing them or making them. I was sometimes sent out to check on them - whether the bulb had burned out, mostly. Also sometimes to make sure nothing was getting too hot. The smallest I remember was a 40 watt bulb in a plywood box of maybe a 2' cube. If I remember right; it was a long time ago. The stone slabs and cement block will make yours pretty safe - it will heat up slowly enough for you to notice problems.

It is heavy enough the chickens can't knock it down?

A ground fault outlet is a good idea - they make plug in ones if your outlet isn't one.

The bulb is 160 watts. The chickens could probably move it around, but the worst would be just knocking the water over. The only part I'm concerned about is when I put them to bed since they dont have any means of escape and I won't be checking on them for a while.

That is likely to be too much wattage for such a small space. Hm, way too much, no wonder your granite is hot.

At least keep a very close eye on all of it until you know how hot it will get.

By all of it, I mean the bottom of the waterer too - I think it will melt.

I was considering an 8 watt lizard bulb for this winter. I was going to insulate around the bulb box though, if you don't insulate, I think it can take a 40 watt bulb... check that too, I'm not sure.

I replaced it with a 60 watt an hour before I put them to bed. The 60 watt seemed to keep it warm and not too hot. When I put them to bed the cinderblock was warming, the granite was a bit more hot, and the block underneath it was very cold, which helps ease my worries. I'll let you know if its frozen tomorrow morning

Water was unfrozen this morning and the granite was warm, but not hot. My only concern now is when I checked the the black stone slab it was sitting on. The slab isn't warm, but is not cold to touch anymore, especially right underneath the cinderblock where its touching hay. Is this concerning? I could put bricks underneath it on the corners to raise it up over the straw, but I feel like that is way to high for the chickens to drink which is the entire reason to begin with.

:thumbsup

The not-cold-to-the-touch stone under the cement block is perfect. It is not at all concerning.

It's a good idea to check the contraption regularly anyway. Check the temperatures of the various parts, that the parts are still square and stable, the cord is dry and in good shape (not wearing through if it rubs on anything, for example), things like that.

Back
Top Bottom