Homemade Waterers

I had my husband cut the bottom of a 5gal bucket off, leaving about 2-3 inches and I poked a hole about an inch from the bottom on an empty apple juice (3quart) bottle from walmart, it's very sturdy plastic. I fill up the juice bottle and set it in the shallow cut off bucket. then set it on a cinder-block.

mine freerange and I wanted to have several waterers around during this heat wave. total cost: $1 for the bucket from the bakery. $3 for the juice bottle but I don't count that since I throw away about 7 of them every month. I have 3 of these and refill them every couple days. if the bottle gets icky I throw it out and poke a hole in a new one.

Mine is a 4" PVC with a cap at bottom to insert the nipple and a screw top to keep clean. Simple and effective.

82702_dsc_0005_3.jpg

82702_dsc_0007.jpg

99442_semi-automatic_waterer.jpg

This is my latest waterer. It has 6 nipples in the PVC. Later I am going to add a toilet fill valve so that it will be automatic instead of semi-automatic. It is just on the fence for pics. Will put it into use tomorrow (T-day). If the chickens play with the nipples so much they get the bedding wet, I am gonna put a capped half round PVC underneath the whole drinking pipe.

I saw from a previous post, I am not the only one here who used an old kennel for my coop.
smile.png
Those plastic crates in the background are gonna be used as my nest boxes when I need them. Probably zip tie them together to make them more stable. Should put a board between the top and bottom layer.

Back
Top Bottom