Homeschooled? how come there are so many on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was little that is what my parents did. I would sit down and do my work then my mom would go over it in pen and let me know what I got wrong. Then I fixed it and she would write a note to the teacher letting her/him know what I was having trouble with and that she graded it herself. I had a few teachers that didn't like this method but my mom still did it because she thought it was her job to make sure I did it right. I mean it wasn't like she was fixing it she was checking my homework and helping me. She always let the teachers know what was going on.

**On another note I saw on a school bulletin board today that one of the middle schools was offering a free parenting seminar.**

Not only do they learn it's OK to make mistakes, but that when you do, you should go back and fix them.

No need to wonder how homeschooled kids do in college, most do great! One of my boys went to public school, 10th grade, for one year. After the first quarter they had a parent-teacher conference and we got to meet all of his teachers. I was so floored by what they all had to say! His English teacher was shocked that a student actually KNEW what an adjective was!! Not only that, but he could actually write in complete sentences and complete a writing assignment! She told us that she couldn't wait to read what he would write because it was always so good! She asked where he had learned all this and we told her from homeschooling and she was even more shocked! She told us we did a great job, and get this-my son doesn't like writing at all! After that year he came back to be homeschooled. He couldn't stand all the waste of time there was there. He said he wasn't learning much!

That's great. We looked into Montessori schools (they work at your own pace as long as you are at least where the state says you should be) but they were expensive. Homeschool is a better fit because we can travel, it is cheaper, and I'm paranoid of strage adults around my child.

I've just heard about a college named Patrick Henry that is geared towards homeschooled kids. If anyone knows what the tuition is, please post it. My computer is way too slow to sit and navigate their site. It took 5 minutes just to download the home page!
th.gif

Here you go! Hope it helps:

The annual cost of educating a full-time on-campus student at Patrick Henry College for the 2009-2010 academic year will be just over $34,000 per student, not including room and board. This is much more than our listed tuition price of $19,530. The difference of over $14,000 represents actual expenditures that must be covered from some source of revenue. Over the years this difference has been and continues to be funded by the college’s generous donors. Patrick Henry College refers to this “hidden” cost of educating each student as a “Subsidy Scholarship” given equally to every PHC student in recognition of the high quality of our student body.

Degree seeking students admitted for study toward the Bachelor of Arts
Prices reflect charges before reduction by PHC's generous financial aid
Fall, Spring, or Summer
Academic Year Charges
(Fall & Spring)

Full-Time student 12-18 credits/semester $ 9,765
$ 19,530

Dining plan A 21meals/week - required for freshmen $ 2,175
$ 4,350

Dining plan B 14 meals/week; any 14 meals $ 1,950
$ 3,900

Residence: 2 person room
availability not guaranteed $ 1,825
$ 3,650

Residence: 3 person room
availability not guaranteed $ 1,580
$ 3,160

Residence: 4 person room
availability not guaranteed $ 1,220
$ 2,440

Campus Facilities & Services Fee,
resident & commuter $ 250
$ 500

Above tuition and room & board cost you should also take into consideration other expenses. We recommend budgeting $500 for books, $500 travel, and $500 for personal for each semester.

How can I afford PHC?
Like most families with college-bound students, you are probably concerned about the rising cost of higher education. At Patrick Henry College, we understand that concern and, while the student and his or her family have the primary responsibility for paying for the student’s college education, we are committed to working with you to bring one of the nation’s finest classical, Christian liberal arts educations within your reach.

Our strategy is simple. First we do everything we can to keep the cost of providing your child with a top-quality education while holding true to our distinctly Christian worldview. Second, thanks to generous donors across the country, careful use of our resources, and prudent spending policies, we are able to offer an excellent liberal arts education affordable with financial aid. The College will award more than $2 million dollars in financial aid scholarships for the 2009-2010 academic year. We work with families to create financial partnerships that take advantage of scholarships, grants, student employment, loans, and more – all with the goal of giving qualified students with a heart for reshaping our culture the opportunity to join us.

On our web site, you’ll find answers to some of the most common questions we get about our financial aid program, as well as up-to-date information on the many options we offer. More than 90% of our student body benefits from one or more of the programs in the College's financial aid awards. Our financial programs are as unique as our students. Please contact us to find out how our programs can benefit you and your family personally.

You may contact the Office of Financial Aid at:

(888) 338-1776 (toll free) or (540) 338-8780

[email protected].

What the...do people think we are all just rolling in money or what!!!? I'm in a rust belt. I couldn't even dream of sending just one of my kids to college these days!! Thank the Lord none of them WANT to go to college! Jeepers!

(Please don't anyone go on about scholarships and blah, blah, blah, financial aid, it is just not even thinkable) Most people in my area don't even make $10.00 an hour.

Quote:
Honestly, I'd rather send my kids to a tech college. My best friend had a 4 year degree, and couldn't find a job in her field to save her life! She finally had to go back for a Master's, and she still isn't where she wants to be. It's getting to be that college grads are a dime a dozen.

I didn't read all the posts but my daughter who just graduated w/ honors, forgive my brag, and she has stated she will not send her kids to a public school. She and her siblings all attended a private Christian academy. Not cheap but we survived and gave up alot. They're all doing well academically.

Anyhow the public school decides who they want to spend time on and your child can get pushed aside for a number of reasons. My daughter has seen teachers who don't like certain kids and treat them badly.

She was told that if a child wasn't "getting it" don't waste time on them just focus on the ones who are.

My daughter is the most awesome and will be the best teacher there ever was.
big_smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom