Homeschooling Mom's in West Tx?

Give them a treat... they'll forgive you.

I hear you about DS, mine was that way too... but can you blame them? They put in an eight hour work day and then they're expected to bring another 1-2 hours worth of work home? Adults aren't expected to do that without pay, yet they expect 6 year olds to manage it? Boggles the mind... not near the problems now that we're doing all home work.

That's great that they're helping. You shouldn't have been in this situation to start with, they broke the law, not you. But you most especially shouldn't have to shell out $1000+++ because THEY screwed up. Seriously warped system sometimes.

ADOS...
gig.gif

I think I've got ADOT... Tetris... or Bejeweled... or Sudoku... oh yeah... anything to distract me from laundry.
tongue.png

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
Thank you everyone, haven't heard back from the attorney, but I'm back to my smiley self and still have my fingers crossed, thank you for your advice, being there and your prayers.
fl.gif
I really just wanted to school my kids without any problems, I feel better that I don't feel a fool for falling into a hype and that I haven't broken the law. I think I can say, I am officially done with the public school system, I'm not saying they are horrible or anything like that, just doesn't meet my kids needs.

I took my chickens a treat, I think they were more happy I showed up to let them out, I peeked in and they were all at the door waiting, soon as I opened it and threw down the treats..... they followed me telling me everything.

It is a huge difference home schooling my kids, DS # 2 had the cops called on him (9 years old) two times last year, he wouldn't go into the building and I wouldn't force him, fear of CPS getting involved, he just hated school, so the principal (one I'm friends with) called the cops, we had a lot going on, one heck of a last year, DS #1 diagnosed with diabetes, DH lost job(rig downfall),landlord sold house from under us, cps, ex sued for custody, my brother was killed on a rig, then DS #1's grandmother died. At any age all of that is hard to handle and DS # 2 reacted by over reacting,but thats expected, right?. And no one would listen, it's school they have to go, if he would of acted up one more time he would of been placed in a detention center for 2 weeks!!!!!I took him to a doctor they wanted him on zombie meds, ones with a side affect of suicide, couldn't do it. Everything was awful, DD #1 was going threw her emotions and had mean girls and then the failure feeling she had from not being able to read and spell as well as everyone else. Home school, no problems from anyone and we carry hours some days longer than regular school + I added extra studies. I truly believe at their own pace they can and will do what is asked. Cramming this and that into short periods of the day, then yes, the homework afterwards. Wow, I don't miss those days at all, DD #1 would scream ,cry, tear up her homework, DS #1 would just flat out hide it say he had none, it just got ridiculous. I am happy with my decision to home school, and not because it's easier on me, but because it's easier on my children, they smile all the time now, our mornings are greeted with smiles and jokes and our evenings end the same way.
thumbsup.gif
There is some horseplay during the school hours, but I haven't seen any failure, and I only help to a point,teach the lesson, then they are on their own, so that I can grade in a teacher manor. I will admit with my DD #1 I catch myself falling into her help me wines, but hey I catch myself.
Again, thank you, I'm happy to be apart of BYC and having the chance to meet you great people.
hugs.gif
I will keep the updates coming.

Wow, sounds like your school is seriously harsh.

Ours last year LT burned another student, trip to ER for burn treatment burn and he got two days OCS and was back laughing and bragging... didn't even mess up his bid for perfect attendance.

So far this year, though the grapevine, we've heard that he's had detention every single day and one more incident and he's off the football team... seems to think he's the next Emmitt Smith or something... maybe now that there's an interest involved, one that he could lose... maybe he'll straighten out... but I know last year NOTHING worked... nothing they were allowed to do anyways. No suspensions, n'mind expulsion... that might have actually driven the point home... but no, nada.

Same note though, they also don't bother trying to figure out why the heck he acts that way... he always has, it's just who he is, so shrug it off... they also didn't bother trying when another student went wiggy for a bit... parents divorcing so he acted out... they just blew it off, no support for the staff, and the parents ignored it (even with the kid On Tape!)...

Some districts... boggles me... ours UNDERreacts, yours OVERreacts, but the result is the same... the kid loses.

You know what? LOL, the small town with twisted ways (cps lady town) That school system has it to where if you break the law out side of school, you are punished in school. So there's these teen twins, always been in trouble out side of school and in, they'd get picked up by the police and get punished at school. They would brag and this made them the "bad" girls, they weren't getting in any real trouble, school was AEP that was their class, they go jumpsuits, separation from good kids, blah, blah. the last thing I seen before we moved away from that place was they had been caught on camera, scratching the police cars up at the police department!!!! And they didn't get into any trouble under the law, just more time added to their AEP!!!!! Where they think they are just cooler. It's like an encouraging them to be in jail or prison, when they are adults, they see no punishment, DD #1 was placed in AEP over there for a day, for slipping his shoes off in class, (he had an itch, it disrupted class? and no his feet don't stink, lol) I tried to fight it, but that principal, she ran a strict school, you just don't do it. He's an awesome kid, got beat up one year cause he wouldn't fight back, that would be breaking the law of the land and the school. Anyways, he said it was just like school, except jumpsuits, you have to sit on the wall in a line for the bathroom and to eat your lunch. So these girls that live in there, I don't see are being punished. I'd like to see those 2 over in this district, they would of been placed in juevie , learning a real lesson. Obviously there is a high no tolerance level here. I feel sorry for them 2, I know they've had it ruff, but then I know there's no excuse. Someone real needs to get involved. It's just crazy everywhere. And my parents use to say, it's not the same as when we were growing up!!!! It sure isn't.

I would look at this whole experience as a great homeschooling project for your children. I know for sure that public schools do not teach how to fight ridiculous legal battles.

Speaking of which... DS, again 12 years old seven years of PS under his belt, had NO IDEA that September 17th is Constitution Day... it has NEVER been mentioned, not once, in social studies.

I was heartened to see though that he was very interested in learning about it.
big_smile.png

Ooohhhh, my kids didn't know the pledge of allegiance to the U.S. or the Texas, I thought we'd start with saying that our first day and had my oldest start, he couldn't remember it, DS #2 nope, DS #1 nope. They just know God and a lawsuit had something to do with why they didn't say it at school anymore.
th.gif
What???? So thats apart of our lessons. Where is America?

Actually that's an interesting little research project...

The Original 1892 Version Read
I pledge allegiance to my Flag and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

But then they figured maybe the immigrants wouldn't be smart enough to remember what flag they were pledging to (guess the stars and strips weren't a big enough hint?) so they tacked on "of the United States" in 1923... but then they decided maybe there was more than one set of United States so they tacked on "of America" a year later...

Then, at one point we altered how we pledge because a psycho named Hitler decided to start using the same hand gesture... so we caved and changed to hand over heart so as not to be lumped in with him.

Then there was the movement started by some folks that eventually bullied Congress (amazing how easy that is isn't it?) to put God into it... though the same idea also would have added LOVE in there with liberty and justice... like anyone can guarantee another person will be loved? Not too bright that one IMO ...that was 1954 or so...

So... yeah, quite a few legal changes to Bellamy's Original... the god part is merely the latest.

When I think about the changes in our country since the 50's... gotta say, I don't think making kids and adults swear to god every day did a whole lot of good... in fact, I can't see that it made one iota of POSITIVE difference at all. All I can see, black and white results, is that a lot of money, time, and stress wasted. For those that want to swear to god, have at it, for those that don't, have at it... that's the way it used to be... now that's the way it is again... but all this money, time and major animosity in between. Seems to me maybe we should have saved ourselves a whole lot of muck and just left it the heck alone in the first place. *shrug*

I agree with that, when I opened a lesson on good citizenship that was the first lesson, in my mind I was thinking ooohhh but they can't say this at school, I think I will teach them that lesson right there, that you just explained, seems to be more with the times than anything else I've seen,way things are and how citizens follow. The changes in the Pledge of Allegiance . Thank you mam!!!!

Well, this country has always been about choice. Being free to make yours. Whether that's your job, your marriage (no caste kind of thing), your religion... it's your choice. So to me feels like if you want to swear to god, feel free and if you don't don't.

Of course I am a Libertarian though... all about choice, or more specifically personal responsibility for your choices so I might be just a wee bit biased on the subject.
wink.png

I'm still cruising trying to find just how we'll cover the Constitution next week (Friday is Constitution Day)... so many thoughts, but not sure exactly how to break it down for ours... obviously the same thing for DS isn't gonna work for DD... still chewing on that one. Maybe just cover the BoR.... then expand next year??

Back
Top Bottom