Homeschooling - SUPPORT GROUP

Hi Everyone,

I am finishing up my last year of homeschooling. I started homeschooling 12 years ago (wow doesn't seem that long ago) with my oldest son. I did a really long post with a bunch of links in another homeschool thread but didn't realize that because I'm new it had to be approved by a mod since I put links in. Once they approve it I'll copy and paste the links here.

My oldest son I did traditional homeschooling. He graduated high school at 15 and got his IT certificate from the local community college at 17. He now lives with his disabled father in another state and is working full-time.

My girls are set to graduate this summer from high school and have been accepted at a private Christian college. I started them off in 8th grade through an online public school but much similar to homeschooling in that I had a lot of room to tweak lessons and add supplemental learning experiences. When they hit high school the online program no longer worked for them and so I went back to traditional homeschooling.

My youngest is on the spectrum so for him homeschooling was a must. He's about to enter high school and will be returning to public school per his request.

I spent about $500 since 2010 in homeschooling. I used mostly free online sources, educational computer games and the library. All of my children tested above grade average in reading, writing, social studies and science. Math is our weakness however!

*ETA*
Here are some links that I used and found very helpful.

The public online school we used until high school - http://www.k12.com/

Free Learning material:

Khan Academy - https://www.khanacademy.org/

All in One homeschool - http://allinonehomeschool.com/grades/

Not free but worth every penny!

Complete Curriculum - http://www.completecurriculum.com/

Home School Tracker - http://www.homeschooltracker.com/

Time For Learning - https://www.time4learning.com/

I don't read this blog however she has a ton of resources for homeschoolers -http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeschooling/2012/12/free-online-educational-resources/

Legal resources:

Advocates for home schoolers - http://www.hslda.org/

Last edited:
I have two suggestions for homeschooling. One is to get the book Homeschooling For Excellence by Colfax. The Colfax's did such a good job of homeschooling their three sons that all three were accepted by Harvard and were given full scholarships. All three boys graduated, too. Jean Kerr (Please Don't Eat the Daisies) did something with her kids that I thought was a great idea. They had to memorize a poem and recite it to the family after dinner on Saturday night. The poem could be anything they chose. This is something that will stay with them all their lives. I would also avoid textbooks as much as possible. The main qualification of a textbook writer seems to be the ability to make the most interesting material as dull and uninteresting as dry toast.

Thanks I like that poem idea!

i'm using Time For Learning and its a really good site! I would recommend it to anybody.

We thought about it but there are so many free things we might wait to use that till the kids are older. I am really liking the UNSCHOOLING I have read about. It is more child lead. You don't really plan what you are going to do you let the child find something that interests them and then research it and learn together. I also like the structured school so nothing is left out.

Keep the links coming! Anyone have a good site for selling/buying curricula?

Wow what a great thread!
ya.gif

We homeschooled our oldest until last year (second grade). We put him in public school and he couldn't keep up so we fought to have him placed to first grade. He has some language processing issues and frankly he hated homeschooling. We attended a weekly co op where I taught high schoolers and my 3 boys took classes taught by other teachers/moms/dads. He lived for co op school days! Despite all the extra curricular activities we participated in, he really enjoyed the social aspect of school and has enjoyed public school. Sort of makes me sad. I keep reminding myself that he is happy, doing well and able to get the extra classes he needs for his learning issues.

My two little boys, twins who just turned five, will probably go into public school Kinder next year with a lot of "school" at home. I'm having to work more and don't have much family in there area to help watch them when I book a job.

There are so many resources available to homeschool families. If you can find a local co op join one!!!! We had so much fun with our group. The kids loved co op days! For book curriculum in language arts, we loved "Learn the Code".

Funny, last night I was thinking of borrowing a friend's incubator for a biology lesson for the boys! Even when enrolled in public school, we still homeschool!
wink.png

Deanna

Wow what a great thread!
ya.gif

We homeschooled our oldest until last year (second grade). We put him in public school and he couldn't keep up so we fought to have him placed to first grade. He has some language processing issues and frankly he hated homeschooling. We attended a weekly co op where I taught high schoolers and my 3 boys took classes taught by other teachers/moms/dads. He lived for co op school days! Despite all the extra curricular activities we participated in, he really enjoyed the social aspect of school and has enjoyed public school. Sort of makes me sad. I keep reminding myself that he is happy, doing well and able to get the extra classes he needs for his learning issues.

My two little boys, twins who just turned five, will probably go into public school Kinder next year with a lot of "school" at home. I'm having to work more and don't have much family in there area to help watch them when I book a job.

There are so many resources available to homeschool families. If you can find a local co op join one!!!! We had so much fun with our group. The kids loved co op days! For book curriculum in language arts, we loved "Learn the Code".

Funny, last night I was thinking of borrowing a friend's incubator for a biology lesson for the boys! Even when enrolled in public school, we still homeschool!
wink.png

Deanna

I think if mine were going to school.... I would homeschool on the side too. The more I think about it the more I want to make this work. I have not really started this but can't wait!

Good luck with your guys and school!

Hi DOnna-- Glad to stumble on to this thread . . . .

I am fortunate to have bright kids and thier struggle in public school is the lack of providing material for them to move ahead--- I did a bit of searching back in Dec and found a couple online websites to help with basics.

6th grader has NO speclling words-- none. So I'm trying to work this in , especially on shool vaca weeks.
4th grader has nonesense words. 15 words, learn to spell by doing 3 projects and no tet anymore. He has moved up a level and often he cannot give me the definition. Trying to work this into the week is a trial-- some times teacher gives it on Monday, and due on Friday, sometimes on THursday; some times hands it out on TUes and it s due THursday. The "projects" do help somewhat but I find entering the words in SpellingCity.com makes the words fun.

We also use IXL-- limited to the few free exercises.

I'm not very organized---I really struggle with fitting everything in every day-- I find sending my kids off to school each day has it's pluses and minuses. Older son needs structure and school provides that, but they also dont understand he is on the spectrum and do little to support him. HE and I work together to hold him together . . .

Youngest is also brilliant but school doesn't provide enough to kep him interested-- so he talks with others a lot. He was placed with the teacher that doesn't allow talking for this school year and that is taking it's toll.

Yesterday we took a field trip to Concord and Lexington, MA(. Monday was Patriots day.) April 19th 1775 was the start of the Revolutionary War. Going with 2 other boys made the event fun-- walk the same trail the Redcoats traveled; stand on the rock where 2 colonists died; tour the Tavern where the wounded were taken after the squirmish near by. IT was more of an intro to the era, and boys ran and brandished sticks and desperately wanted me to buy plastic pistols.

We also picked up a workbook for the kids to fill out on the people and locations involved. As we picniced I asked questions and everyone could answer.

Last stop was the Old Cemetary--couldn't find the famous people buried there. But we did notice that only flags were placed for maj and captains and the one british soldier. Not any of the revolutionary colonists had a flag.

We want to go back-- much much more to see and build on the first visit.

Spelling CIty--- I often use a word list developed from a book my son is reading; free websiste for half of the games; limited humber of word lists allowed but still plenty- about 20 lists of 50 words. I combine the words lists from inital 15 word lists to 50 words; also little kids start with about 10 words at a time.

I started playing "go Fish" and "matching" with spelling words on construction paper when my children were under 3rd grade; then moved to spelling city.

Glad you found us @Arielle There is so much out there now for homeschooling it is very easy to do. If you are thinking of switching you need to look up the laws in your state. I think MA is regulated pretty strong. May have to still take state tests and stuff. Here in TN we don't have to do any of that if we register correctly. (3 ways here to home school) Home School Legal Defense Fund has a list of the regulations by state. If you are just going to supplement at home I don't think you would have to worry about anything.

There are programs online that are still through your state if you want to homeschool and it not cost. K12 is available in most states for free. It is state run and would follow Common Core (I personally am not a fan of CC)

There is also a site called EasyPeasy and she is homeschooling all her kids and has her WHOLE program by grade level online for FREE. You can move at your own pace. I like that part of homeschooling best.

If you need any help just ask some of us may know the answer or can direct you to the right place.

Great thread! Great links. We are just getting started in homeschooling so look forward to all the information we can get. Will be working on Kindergarten and 1st Grade. We are lucky Oklahoma is an easy to homeschool state, but still a little nervous about taking this on full time. (We did prek at home though.) We tried to homeschool after school for the kindergarten kid, but he is usually too tired so that didn't work well. It was better to let them just play after school and do more nature projects (hikes, garden, animals), than to try and do much sit down school work. They are looking forward to homeschooling this summer a bit (to see how it goes before fall).

Mass is very regulated-- about EVERYTHING!!!

THe plus in general is that the education is remarkably good on the whole-- a friend said the other day-- 6th in the world. THough I do live near a town with a high number of home schooled children. Getting connected is not easy though.

So I appreciate your willingness to share Donna!! Another chicken friend sent me some Mass links and that helped me find other links. Though much is not free. I tried signing up for K12 as i was an ad on another educational site-- but couldn't seem to pull off creating a connection or membership or whatever.

I am all for free as I feel like I pay a lot out of pocket for school activites and field trips. CHeaper to drive my own kids to zoos and such. ANd I don't think the teachers know much about zoo animals, or early pilgrim life-- as none of them farm, and I have worked at a zoo.

Sorry I always sound like I am griping-- I find it hard to stay positive about public school. But for now I will supplement.

WHile washing dishes, and the 2 drying, I have them a spelling challenge. Used a school spelling list and asked each to spell a word, at random so each got hard and easy words. It is about learning to spell a new word, not getting them all spell right. Even I can't spell every word-- I need spell check often enough!! lol

Back
Top Bottom