Homeschooling - SUPPORT GROUP

Pics
Quote: YEs, you have it perfectly.

Art can be hands in paint and then on paper; art can be paper on a styro meat tray, a table sppon of blue tempra and a tablespoon of red, and roll a marbles around. ( let child pick from several colors.) DId both of these in preschool classes as an aid.

Making jello can be science-- mixing colors like something blue and something yellow, and liquid and solid. Simple on one hand or more comples on another.

Quote:
They are all very different. One of my two little ones stared talking EARLY but didn't walk till he was 16 months old. The other walked at about 8 months and still talks baby talkish at 3. Both are very smart, just in different ways.

Hi!
I just ran into this thread. We have been home schooling for 25 years non stop. I have several adult children and some finished college and are working. I have 7 more left at home school and hope to be done in 10 years or so. It will be my life story.

Hi!
I just ran into this thread. We have been home schooling for 25 years non stop. I have several adult children and some finished college and are working. I have 7 more left at home school and hope to be done in 10 years or so. It will be my life story.

WOW! I think 14 years is about all I can think about. Now that I see that it is daunting
th.gif
You have a WEALTH of info to share with us PLEASE SHARE as we go along. You have quit the span of ages too. Mine are 26, 5 and 3.

Hi!
Bet you have lots to share!!!

I'm already fretting over getting my kids into college and paying for it. Next year we have to decide if he goes to a trade school or stays at the public school. I'm feeling the pressure. His grades must be fantastic to even be considered for the trade school.

im so glad I found this thread. iv been thinking about homeschooling my son, he is such a bright kid and if he is anything like I was as a kid(which he seems to be at this point) he will get bored and leading him getting in trouble in public school. my only concern is dyslexia seems to run in my family, I have it, my uncle has it, and 2 of my cousins have it. I have worked through it for the most part(except when I get stressed out) as has my uncle. if my son were to have dyslexia then I may not catch it.

At 2 he knew most of his colors and shapes. at 3 and a half he amazes his daycare/preschool teachers with how quick he learns and she uses him to help teach the other kids. he has a basic understanding of what each dollar bill is (1,5,10, & 20) as well as coins (pennies, nickels, dimes, & quarters) and im attempting to start working on letters and reading. we use a lot of flash cards and hands on learning.

I know hes a bit young to be in "school" but hes never to young to learn the basics. he wont be able to start public school until he is almost 6 (his birth day is after the September 15th and they have to be 5 by then to start school) so I was thinking about homeschooling him.

im so glad I found this thread. iv been thinking about homeschooling my son, he is such a bright kid and if he is anything like I was as a kid(which he seems to be at this point) he will get bored and leading him getting in trouble in public school. my only concern is dyslexia seems to run in my family, I have it, my uncle has it, and 2 of my cousins have it. I have worked through it for the most part(except when I get stressed out) as has my uncle. if my son were to have dyslexia then I may not catch it.

At 2 he knew most of his colors and shapes. at 3 and a half he amazes his daycare/preschool teachers with how quick he learns and she uses him to help teach the other kids. he has a basic understanding of what each dollar bill is (1,5,10, & 20) as well as coins (pennies, nickels, dimes, & quarters) and im attempting to start working on letters and reading. we use a lot of flash cards and hands on learning.

I know hes a bit young to be in "school" but hes never to young to learn the basics. he wont be able to start public school until he is almost 6 (his birth day is after the September 15th and they have to be 5 by then to start school) so I was thinking about homeschooling him.

YEAH GLAD YOU MADE IT HERE!

I was talking to a teacher today and told her the BIGGEST misconseption with society is that little kids CAN'T LEARN.... sure they can. Like you mine knew his colors before he could walk, could count to 5. He knows shapes that I am not even sure of. We limit them too much. We should teach them more than we think and they will get what they can from it. Work on it again and before you know it they know more than you about the subject.

There are lots of ways to test for dyslexia aren't there? I read a good webpage about how dyslexia started to be on the increase when they started to teach reading by SITE words. The point was the OLD FASHIONED METHOD works best. We are going to use McGuffey Readers. It talked about how Rockafella funded it and sent his boys to a school that taught the NEW WAY and all 3 had dyslexia because of it. It was interesting. If I can find it I will try to post it for you. It may not be just genetics but environment too.

Let me know how you like ALL ABOUT SPELLING. Is it this one? http://www.allaboutlearningpress.com/letter-sounds-app/ have you tried the free apps?
Yes. We are starting with level one. We 'tested' the system. Went through the cards one-by-one to see if they knew the sounds, then they got to use the app (the old one that has more than the alphabet), to check if they were correct. They thought it was a lot of fun. The books are step by step for every lesson. Seems like it will be really good. We are waiting until school is out in May before we do more. The concentration level isn't there after school right now. Even though my soon to be 1st grader is reading, it teaches a lot of phonics which should help him with the bigger words. It (hopefully) will provide a good foundation for my soon to be Kinder, but she probably won't go through the actual spelling part until next year, just hit some of the phonics highlights.

Oh, and we got our books and kit through Rainbow Resource. It was the same price (I think), but had free shipping since I ordered a few other books too. (The catalog is very intimidating...around 1400 pages.)

WOW! I think 14 years is about all I can think about. Now that I see that it is daunting
th.gif
You have a WEALTH of info to share with us PLEASE SHARE as we go along. You have quit the span of ages too. Mine are 26, 5 and 3.

Hi!
Thanks for the welcome. My children range in ages 27 to 8 years old, so similar to you.
frow.gif

Bet you have lots to share!!!

I'm already fretting over getting my kids into college and paying for it. Next year we have to decide if he goes to a trade school or stays at the public school. I'm feeling the pressure. His grades must be fantastic to even be considered for the trade school
Hi Arrielle!

Thanks for the welcome. Do you home school your son? I thought trade school was supposed to be an alternative for kids that do not want to go to college. I am sorry if I sound ignorant but I am in that area. The sister of my son in law used to be home schooled but is currently in public high school and her parents are trying to get her into trade school also but I think it is at a high school level. She has a really hard time with math. I am very interested as my youngest ones are also struggling and unless there are major changes straight academics is not going to work them. We also have an adult son with some major learning issues. I might start another post about that subject.

I hope you are able to get your son into the right academic situation. This is such a crucial time in their life.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom