Homeschooling - SUPPORT GROUP

Pics
LOOK WHAT I JUST FOUND! It is similar to RC from what I can tell. The biggest complaint with buying Robinson is printing out all the book and how hard it is too use the CD's.

This looks GREAT! Has all the same books maybe even more. Sorted by grade levels... has an e-reader in the program and is TOTALLY FREE!

http://myschoolroom.net/download-latest/

Just playing with it but can't wait to try it with the 5 year old.
I downloaded this program. Lots of good books on there. I was able to download a few. They are stored as DjVu files...can convert them or pull them over as is onto a tablet so the kids can read them without being on the computer.

We also use Overdrive through our local library (lots of kids books on there) and if you don't mind reading books in the browser, there is www.wegivebooks.org . It has a lot of newer children's books in full color free for reading.

The kids like the Storia e-reader app from Scholastic(it is easy for them to navigate), but the ebooks are the same price as a paper copy usually, so we would rather go with a physical book. However, if you install it you used to get 5 free e-books, so that isn't a bad deal.

Arielle - What is the math book that provides different methods? I would love this!

I've been looking into homeschooling for a few years now, and have found a lot of sources. I've found a co-op group and everything. However I'll give my children the option to go to public if they wish.

My mind is fried, but thank you so much for this thread...I bookmarked almost every link provided.
THis was sold to me by a door to door sales man--- I have no idea where to get these books otherwise. Cost about $250 for 3 books-- Rediculously expensive--

Will see if I can find the books . . .

http://www.home-school.com/Articles/dyslexia-man-made-disease.php

I read thru this article but was left not understnaing the difference really between phonics and site reading.

When I was a kid we did phonics-- I remember a silly little book that we put together as we workedon each sound. Made a little rhymeish song that we could memorize.

To me site words are for spelling, not reading.

To help my kids with promounciation-- I have them read out loud, so I can help with how to say a word. We have more sords spelled wierly than any other language. Almost as many excpetions as those that follow the rule. I tell my kids, thry the rule first , you will be right about 1/2 the time. SO go for it.

Obviously this applies to when children are older and are spending more time in their rooms reading a novel to themselves.

I remember reading and not knowing how to say a word, so would skip over it. THe only way to learn the pronounciatin is to hear an adult say the word.

WHen my oldest was entering 1st grade he still did not read even though he had been read to since birth. He was put in to the TItle 1 program. ANd I took it upon my self to figure out how to teach him. It was a year of tears from him and screaming from me. IT was aweful. I get it now that he had troubl processing the information-- he couldn't find the infoormation in his head to read the words-- I remembered how difficult learning to read had been for me-- I didn't want to read but my mother would NOT read it . I had to do it. I remmember hating her for it. And can still feel the sense of failure today. Odd huh? SO I had empahty for my boy, but knew he had to read and I didn't know what else to do but force.

I went to the library and talked to the then librarian who had been a teacher. I explained what I needed. She showed me a few collections of books. I was looking for simple to creaste success. In the end I took several of each type home and worked with my son until I could see which would work better for him. IT was the books with a picture clearly depicting the 3-4 word sentence. THe pictures were VERY important-- he took clues fromt he pictures. AND only 1 word , the same word changed in the sentence page after page. I hated when on the last page a different word was changed. IT thru him a curve and ended the practice on a sour note. I didn't have him read the last page if that was the case.

We plowed thru the year, and it was a struggle because all his math work depended on him reading the instructions. SO he was getting a lot of math work wrong. He doesn't have a good working memory, and and couldn't read the instructions . . and it still makes me cry now that his teachers did not understand . . . . He was awarded the most improved reader for the year. Able to read short books by the end , a far cry from only 3 words at the beginning of the year. He is now a honor roll student and plows thru huge novels , several in a week.

I wish I had known a different way . . . .I share this in hopes that it helps one of you.

Quote:
I am not that savvy with tablets. The kids each have Nabi's and I can download the files for most of those books from somewhere online. Google Books has them too. I am a book person and reading on a table and computer are a hard transition for me LOL. but the kids don't know any better LOL.

Back
Top Bottom