Homeschooling - SUPPORT GROUP

Pics
Quote: Yes it is a tough job-- I get it. I have subbed for many years. I am a parent that does care, and does have nice relationships with most teachers. Even one of my sons old teachers will chat with me in the parking lot and tell me I was one of the good parents. I live in a small town of about 10, 000 people with 15 churches

My brother is a pharmacist and carries extra insurance because he gets his tires cut at work.

As a parent this has been my experience:

I was speaking of a specific teacher and admin is gathering information to fire her after a slew of parents came forward this past year. A friend was having a conversation with said teacher and that teacher turned around to berate a young child-- that friend walk away in sheer horor of the situation-- and filed a report.

My other son has a 504 and it is kept watered down and the teachers dont even follow what is on the 504. I"m having to spend precious money on hiring an expensive advocate; money I would rather be using to buy tickets to the zoo or sending him to a week of summer camp at WPI for robotics.

I have served for 3 years on the school council and watched NONE of our ideas be implimented. I have watched all these parents that want to be involved with school at the most involved level walk away when the truth is reveiled--- school does NOT want parents involved.

I have a child with communication problems and I cant get the teachers to communicate with me so he can hand his work in on time. I have asked what feels a million times for help for my son and I get retoric. I specifically asked this year( his English/reading teacher) about books like Treasure Island and other classics, wanting appropriate classics for a boy at his reading level -- and was told to have him read Harry Potter and other contemporary writers= clearly that door was shut in my face.

PS-- we have 23 kids per class room.

I have a live long love of learning and my kids are being held back in that learning. Even my youngest son was a child according to the principle a child that had come to her attention--- and in her words the kids that she learns first as a new principle are the problem kids-- my son came to her atention her first year for just the opposite reason including his perfect MCAS score.

I have banged my head for years trying to be involved with my kids educatin in public school and have never gotten anywhere's close to acheiving the relationship with school that I would like.

Near the end of the school yr of my sons 5th grade, his first year at the middle school, I was in the office and was asked to prove my recidency -- understand my kids have been at this public school since preschool--- after about 10 minutes in which they wanted me to bring in a tax bill, I exploded. A tax bill prooves nothing for recidency, only that a person pays taxes on property in said town. THe school adjustment councelor was called to the situation. SHe took care of the situation and I had to to nothing to prove my residency. ( ALl it would take is a phone call to the town managers office to see if we were voters-- proof of recidency is required for voting-- which is PUBLIC record. THe 2 women in the office were always cold and rude to me after that. UNTIL the principle started having once a month coffee clatches with parents and I attended them regularly-- THEN they started to be nice to me.

THIS has been MY experience dealing with a public school -- a parent that has been pushed out and kept marginalized when I would have been the FIRST to support school and the teachers and know all the priciples from many meetings. I WAS a parent involved-- school pushed me out of the way.

I have discussed this rift with a principle and he was dumb founded. Fell back in his chair with disbeleif.

This is why I spend as much time as possible keeping my kids learning at home and trying to fill in their education. I have only hit road blocks at public school.

Quote: I dont hate teachers-- I think they have the most important job in the world afer the mom and the dad. I loved my day with the little kids subbing, and most often a one-to one with a special needs child.

I loved many of my high school teachers-- and loved college. Only one teacher there that left a mark on me negatively.

I have bright intelligent kids that want to learn, are ready to sit respectfully to learn and never give the teachers a problem.

Like I said I served for 3 yrs in hopes of changing the system-- it doesn't want to be changed.

Teachers are still my favorite people. But the situation gets clouded when my own children are involved and I can see where my kids could be doing better. AND I get VERY frustrated by parents that tell me it is the school's job yada yada-- I just see red. NO, it is a parents job, too.

I might not be a licensed teacher, but I figure after learnign to train a seal, several horses, a few rotties, I can mange two kids-- so I have taken the route of teaching my own kids on weekends, school vaca weeks and the summers. Learning is lifelong.

Here is a website for passing on used curriculum. I have gotten a few things from here over the past few years. The site is made up of homeschooling families from all over the US. Basically, when you see books you want or need, you offer a book you no longer need. The only cost is shipping, paid by the recipient, through paypal.There are more specific instructions on the site. The site is curriculumshare.com.
We have home- schooled since my oldest ( now 20 and working) was in 3rd grade. My 18 year old just graduated and I have three more to go- ages 8, 9, and 11. ( grades 3rd, 5th, and 6th in the upcoming school year)

I dont hate teachers-- I think they have the most important job in the world afer the mom and the dad. I loved my day with the little kids subbing, and most often a one-to one with  a special needs child. 

I loved many of my high school teachers-- and loved college. Only one teacher there that left a mark on me negatively. 

I have bright intelligent kids that want to learn, are ready to sit respectfully to learn and never give the teachers a problem. 

Like I said I served for 3 yrs in hopes of changing the system-- it doesn't want to be changed. 

Teachers are still my favorite people. But the situation gets clouded when my own children are involved and I can see where my kids could be doing better. AND I get VERY frustrated by parents that tell me it is the school's job yada yada-- I just see red. NO, it is a parents job, too. 

I might not be a licensed teacher, but I figure after learnign to train a seal, several horses, a few rotties, I can mange two kids-- so I have taken the route of teaching my own kids  on weekends, school vaca weeks and the summers. Learning is lifelong. 
[/quote
Really, Arielle, teaching is the parents'job first and foremost. Who has your child's best interest at heart more than you? Teachers may add to a child's learning experience, but ultimately a child's values, work ethic, self- worth, etc. comes from the parents. Dare I say this is part of America's problem today- handing off their children to the school system so that they don't have to deal with teaching them?
You are on the right track; if your kids have to be involved in the system, keep on top of what they are learning and add to it at home!

My kids loved those shows on TV-- and we have anumber of the Magic school bus on DVD. You might want to check your library for the books-- reading a book that follows the dvd can be a good reinforcement of the material and make reading easier as the concepts and the words verbally are familiar.

Found this site while looking for maps to go along with world geography book the kids picked out at library. ONe picked Iraq and the other Afghanistan. THey here the update regularly on NPR radio which I listen to in the car . Mind you this is NOT what I listened to when the kids were little, by the time they are 10yo the world chaos is manageable in small amts. Found this clip art for school room site for maps to go along with their books:

http://classroomclipart.com/

ANd scored at the Ocean State Job Lot for the Standard Deviants: Rings, Kings and THings. for $1 ( Reg $20) THis is not a subject for everyone I realize. IT covers the ancient myths, heroic epic poems etc. King Aurthur, Lord of the RIngs, Beowulf as a way to discover fantasy literature. Hoping to stir up some short story writing.

Back
Top Bottom