Homesteaders

Pics
I agree with Ibejaran- profiting from homesteading is usually not the case. Usually it is self sufficiency. Yes that book breaks down exactly what you can do on I/4 acre, 1/2 acre, 1 acre, and so on. It even gives sketches as to what can be placed where for maximum area and usage. It also gives charts on grains from seed to production, and charts on what veggies need to be rotated with what.

You would be really surprised what you can do with 1/4 acre- nuts, fruit, veggies, grain, poultry and maybe even pigs or bees. Yes you can make some money from it, but that money would primarily go for feed for your flock and maintaining your soil properly.

Growing from seeds will be cheaper in the long run if you buy organic seeds. With the budding seeds from the crop- you save those seeds for planting the year after. I know that sounds weird, but I don't know how else to word it right this moment. Anyways-if you buy any genetically modified seeds then they will last one crop and you can not plant the seeds that were created from that crop because they will not grow properly. So self sustainment happens from organic seeds and trees if that makes sense.

Message me if you need me to break that down better. I have done research on the best crops to do this with. I have a chart set up on my thread Anyone Living Off The Land if you want to find it. It is a chart on grains that can be grown on 1/4 acre, how much they will produce by pounds, and what soils they need. I am not sure which page it is on sorry.

A lot of what we read in books generally works only if you have the most ideal conditions. A couple acres of land, good soil, the time and energy to grow and harvest bunches of different items. It doesn't always work out for smaller homesteaders, so I understand where you are coming from. Here are some things I've learned from my family, most of whom grow their food in small areas, plots or pots.

For one, homesteaders generally aren't out to make money on their spoils. Most of the time, it's meant to supplement or replace the food you would otherwise have to purchase from a grocery store or farmer's market. It is also meant to bring you closer to your food source. Here's something I've learned: You most likely won't be able to have minimal costs like lots of produce farmers. However, you will know where your food comes from. You'll also be able to sustain that yourself without having to worry about what pesticides might be on your food. If you wanted to produce enough to sustain yourself and to sell, you might have some trouble. If you were selling just enough to break even, you might be okay, but making a profit isn't likely unless you are working on a much larger scale.

For people with smaller parcels of land, planting your seeds in pots tends to work out. Tomatoes, lettuce, kale, peppers, and other surface vegetables tend to do really well in them.

Tomatoes are a good crop that are generally plentiful. They are also staples in lots of cooking (and of course they are delicious and good for you), so I wouldn't give up on them so soon. If I grew my own tomatoes, I'd save about one hundred dollars a year. I'm working on getting my soil ready so that next spring, I can begin sowing seeds.

There is a book that you might appreciate. It was recommended to me by newbie32 and I've got it on my wishlist for next time I get paid. It's called The Backyard Homestead and it is a great resource for working on a smaller plot of land. Some of the information might be useful to you and help you decide what you'd like to grow.

With pears, I generally just wait for them to soften just a bit. You can tell by giving them a little squeeze. If their flesh has a little give to it, they are about ready. I don't know how ripe they are now, so that's about all I can tell you, sorry! I'm so glad you've had luck with fruit trees. I'm so tempted to plant a couple peach and apple trees, but I'm not sure our soil is good enough for it. I'll be doing a soil test soon to see if I can handle those trees or if I'm better off just buying them.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice. As for apples and pears you might find abandoned orchards. The apples and pears from my neighbors are tree neither planted. While the fruit is spotty the insides are nice and white. The best part is they're free.

I also have a brother from church that has an apple tree that I suspect is a Granny Smith. For sauce I use a mix anyway so some are the free and a few are picked at the orchard.

I agree with Ibejaran- profiting from homesteading is usually not the case. Usually it is self sufficiency. Yes that book breaks down exactly what you can do on I/4 acre, 1/2 acre, 1 acre, and so on. It even gives sketches as to what can be placed where for maximum area and usage. It also gives charts on grains from seed to production, and charts on what veggies need to be rotated with what.

You would be really surprised what you can do with 1/4 acre- nuts, fruit, veggies, grain, poultry and maybe even pigs or bees. Yes you can make some money from it, but that money would primarily go for feed for your flock and maintaining your soil properly.

Growing from seeds will be cheaper in the long run if you buy organic seeds. With the budding seeds from the crop- you save those seeds for planting the year after. I know that sounds weird, but I don't know how else to word it right this moment. Anyways-if you buy any genetically modified seeds then they will last one crop and you can not plant the seeds that were created from that crop because they will not grow properly. So self sustainment happens from organic seeds and trees if that makes sense.

Message me if you need me to break that down better. I have done research on the best crops to do this with. I have a chart set up on my thread Anyone Living Off The Land if you want to find it. It is a chart on grains that can be grown on 1/4 acre, how much they will produce by pounds, and what soils they need. I am not sure which page it is on sorry.

I guess what I'd really like to know is how much can really be saved by homesteading. How much can one reduce their outlay of $$$ ?. Seems to me there has to be one person with a job of some kind.

I have chickens of course and plant a garden, but don't seem to be able to grow enough to cut costs to the point I'd like.

How can I decide what to grow and how much of what to grow? Lord knows I've got plenty of eggs.
lol.png

We have nearly three acres most of which is wooded.

I'm not likely to find any apple trees here in Texas (our soil is sometimes too clay-like for apple trees), but it's brilliant that you have access to free fruit! The closest pick-your-own orchard is about 6 hours away and their picking seasons don't align well with vacation days. I'm hoping I'll get a chance to go pick a bushel next year.

Ooh, have you made cider? Cider is delicious, hehe!

Beak n Skiff has the best cider here. They're also now into Vodka. You can google them and see what I mean.

As for growing apples in TX there may be a variety you can grow. Not all varieties do well here.

I have made Apple sauce with Cider instead of adding water. I've also made it with Maple Syrup too.

Beak n Skiff has the best cider here. They're also now into Vodka. You can google them and see what I mean.

As for growing apples in TX there may be a variety you can grow. Not all varieties do well here.

I have made Apple sauce with Cider instead of adding water. I've also made it with Maple Syrup too.
Mmmm! That sounds wonderful! I know there are apple orchards up in northern Texas, but where I am (right up against the Mexican border), you have to have really good soil or mix up your own. That's what I'll probably have to do if I want a bountiful tree. I'm trying to get some advice from my local ag teacher for some help. It's been awhile since I've talked to him, so I've got to seek him out (and hope he remembers me, haha).

I'll look BnS up! I love me some delicious cider!

By all means, get a copy of The Backyard Homestead as mentioned above. I bought a copy a few months back, and it is loaded with good information for those working a smaller piece of land. You'd be surprised at what you can do on less than an acre.

Also, take a look at this featured article in the latest edition of Mother Earth News
9 Strategies for Self-Sufficient Living

Get back to basics, achieve food security and find financial independence with these 9 key aspects of achieving true self-sufficient living. Here are tips from a family that is making it work.

Read more:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/home...icient-living-zm0z13onzrob.aspx#axzz2hfSM7GGt

These strategies, over time, will help you realize a self sufficient life on your homestead.

Last edited:
I guess what I'd really like to know is how much can really be saved by homesteading.  How much can one reduce their outlay of $$$ ?.  Seems to me there has to be one person with a job of some kind. 

I have chickens of course and plant a garden, but don't seem to be able to grow enough to cut costs to the point I'd like. 

How can I decide what to grow and how much of what to grow?   Lord knows I've got plenty of eggs.  :lol:    

We have nearly three acres most of which is wooded.   

I didn't see this post earlier, but I thought I'd share my opinion again.

The first couple years, you probably won't be saving much money. Buying organic seeds, getting your soil all nutritious and wonderful, purchasing all your produce while waiting to have a bountiful garden, all that can get expensive. So at first, you won't be saving much if anything.

However, one season of growing can help make your garden sustainable. The second year, you can use any seeds produced by your first crops. You can use any scraps (vegetable peels, rotten veggies, chicken manure, grass clippings, tree trimmings, etc.) for compost to ready your garden for the next growing season. Essentially, you'll already be partially sustainable with only a little extra effort. Other than the cost of watering and your time, there won't be many other expenses. The first year will help set you on the road to sustainability. Any extra expenses (barring any garden tragedies or weather issues) will be based on whether you are satisfied with the crops you grow. Some people like to try new crops, which can add to the expense, but that is up to you. After the first fruitful growing season, expenses tend to lessen. Instead of paying for produce, you'll be paying for the water to make them grow (and any other things you may want like organic fertilizer, though if you compost, you probably won't need it).

Baaker creek and bountiful gardens are my favs they have heirlooms and lots of organics. We also have a seed/plant swap in the swap forum. Most of us have heirloom and grow organic. I got a to try a lot of different stuff this year from the swap.

Back
Top Bottom