Homesteaders

I believe there was some discussion over the long legged and short legged and the crossing of them. Is this right? I wasn't at the conference for Cattle but had a good time just the same. I went because I have Delaware chickens. That part of the conference was a disappointment though. The folks were super and the food very good.
My understanding is that the short-legged ones are the Dexters with the dwarfism genetics, so you would never breed two short-legged together as the genetics can cause the fetus to die in utero. But, not all Dexters with the dwarfism gene show traits like short legs. I believe for purebred and registration, all Dexters must be genetically mapped for breeding records to avoid breeding two with the gene together.

My understanding is that the short-legged ones are the Dexters with the dwarfism genetics, so you would never breed two short-legged together as the genetics can cause the fetus to die in utero.  But, not all Dexters with the dwarfism gene show traits like short legs.  I believe for purebred and registration, all Dexters must be genetically mapped for breeding records to avoid breeding two with the gene together.
in either case, the meat or cheese that was served was very good. I would have them if I could.

Are there any hedge layers here? This is not me, but a visual of what I hope to accomplish. Google hedgelaying to get more examples. My plan is to do this around my yard to deter predators.

By_hedge_web.jpg

I'm doing something similar to this but using poultry wire. I hope to plant berries and other things in it so as to make it purposeful. Today I picked some blackberries. I hope to make a living fence type of thing.

14.jpg

In the UK there are businesses that will do this and from what I've gleaned so far competitions and different styles.

See my post on "Homesteaders" thread about laying a Hedgerow. Also google hedgerows and see many neat styles. Mine will have berries, ornamental shrubs and roses if I can.

We have a living hedgerow around most of our property. It was here when we purchased so it's in need of lots of love. It consists mostly of grapes out back and up by the coop and other buildings it has loads of black raspberries growing. Every year we clean it up a bit and the fruit just keeps getting bigger and better.

We have a living hedgerow around most of our property. It was here when we purchased so it's in need of lots of love. It consists mostly of grapes out back and up by the coop and other buildings it has loads of black raspberries growing. Every year we clean it up a bit and the fruit just keeps getting bigger and better.
I should be so lucky. I have to work so hard to get things going. Some folks don't appreciate what they have and rip it out. Present company excluded of course. You are very lucky.
cool.png

Lucky to an extent. There is a boat load of trash growing in with all the good stuff. That's what is making everything go so slow. At one point in time , many years before I bought the property , someone had a full blown homestead going. That's our goal now. I have 2 stupid simple secrets. Patients and old (very old) manure everywhere.

Lucky to an extent. There is a boat load of trash growing in with all the good stuff. That's what is making everything go so slow. At one point in time , many years before I bought the property , someone had a full blown homestead going. That's our goal now. I have 2 stupid simple secrets. Patients and old (very old) manure everywhere.

I meant lucky to have the berries. I understand the trash part. I've found that if you give a weed and inch it will take a yard.

Though keeping things so the large plants shade out the weeds can help I suppose. Perhaps a low ground cover. Perhaps Ground Cherries?

Gro
I meant lucky to have the berries. I understand the trash part.  I've found that if you give a weed and inch it will take a yard. 

Though keeping things so the large plants shade out the weeds can help I suppose. Perhaps a low ground cover. Perhaps Ground Cherries?  
ground cherries? I have never heard of them. If they are edible I am willing to chance it though.

Back
Top Bottom