Homesteaders

Gro
ground cherries? I have never heard of them. If they are edible I am willing to chance it though.

Ground Cherries are edible. I just figure a low ground cover will eventually block weeds in the lower parts. Any ground cover will do it if you weed it, it will eventually block room where weeds would grow.

Many fruits such as Red Currants and Gooseberries lost favor because of the prep work. People have become lazy. Even homemade grape jelly is lost because it takes time. No one wants to wait overnight to make jelly when they can make jam faster. Gooseberries by the way make a very tart jam. Not one I recommend. I don't care for it. I fear I wasted 7 cups of gooseberries. Plus Gooseberries have prickers, though you don't need many really.

groundcherries20102.jpg

Ground cherry lemon jelly.

ground-cherry-jelly-04.jpg

Prairie-ground-cherry_flowers.jpg

Ground-cherries.png

orangeyellow-certified-organic-aunt-mollys-gr_0.jpg

There was a Yahoo post about Australia offering homes for rent in the country. $1 a month. There are catches of course. Some need fixing up and all that. Might be interesting for the homestead minded folks.
They're looking for families with kids.

I'm sure you can Google it and find more information.

Crikeys!

Rancher

There was a Yahoo post about Australia offering homes for rent in the country. $1 a month. There are catches of course. Some need fixing up and all that. Might be interesting for the homestead minded folks.
They're looking for families with kids.

I'm sure you can Google it and find more information.

Crikeys!

Rancher

Oh that's tempting... Last time I looked into it though you had to have a sponsor and employment lined up before you could set foot in the country. I'll do some searching just for fun. I'd love to live out in the sticks in Australia.

Last edited:
Oh that's tempting... Last time I looked into it though you had to have a sponsor and employment lined up before you could set foot in the country. I'll do some searching just for fun. I'd love to live out in the sticks in Australia.

They're trying to get more kids for their schools. I don't have little kids. Though being retired and having an income might put me in a better position. Not sure how their government works. Gotta check those laws.

They're trying to get more kids for their schools. I don't have little kids. Though being retired and having an income might put me in a better position. Not sure how their government works. Gotta check those laws.
I'd love to live there way out in the sticks and off the grid. The only thing I'd miss was internet so I could access this site to keep up with all of ya'll.

I'd love to live there way out in the sticks and off the grid. The only thing I'd miss was internet so I could access this site to keep up with all of ya'll.

You'd be surprised places you can get the internet by satilite. There are folks on here from Australia who might be able to answer questions for you. I suspect if they need folks with kids the schools would have internet.

Many places can get WiFi.

I wouldn't want to live in Australia. It seems like everything over there is poisonous and will try to kill you ...
hide.gif
You've never met my family. You'd stand a better chance of survival in Australia.
lol.png

I got a cousin who was widowed THREE times. His first too wives died from eating poison mushrooms. His third wife died from a bump on the head. She wouldn't eat the mushroom.
lau.gif

I've got another cousin who has a tattoo that says "Caution, this woman may be hazardous to your health".
lau.gif

yuckyuck.gif

Well, I did survive Wyoming for 7 years without seeing a live rattlesnake in the wild. I really didn't look for any, I knew I would freak out. There were not very many, if any at the elevation that I lived. There were a couple seen on the road, but by neighbors and not by me. But I did see a lot of black widow spiders and brown recluse spiders. And of course the spear grass - Nasty stuff!

Back
Top Bottom