Homesteaders

yuckyuck.gif
There is always an expert. How did we ever get by before all this free advice (criticism)!

:yuckyuck  There is always an expert. How did we ever get by before all this free advice (criticism)!
my crazy family did it by using a cook book from the late 1800's into the early 1900's . Salt, lard and "old eggs". We smoke, drink and all out enjoy life. Well that was until someone started taking all the natural safe fats out of our food and adding chemicals. Then they started putting water in the chickens and telling us DON'T EAT EGGS THEY WILL KILL YOU. Oh and make sure to take a bunch of unnecessary pills so your muscles aren't a little sore, but eventually you will need a kidney transplant because our pills will kill your organs. At that point the fear started and everyone got sick and started dying young.

Yes technology and medicine have a place, just not in my food or my land. That's how we managed,
1f606.png
, happily ever after until our bodies just couldn't any longer. Oh and SUNDAY WE DID NOTHING that resembled work.it was church and family. Dinner was a family event that was real food not something mom grabbed from the fast food place. Kids got their butt busted when needed and their mouth washed out with soap for foul talk. There were less "brats" because of it.

Im getting the first of my meat bunnies tomorrow!!!! Im so excited that I am nervous about messing it up. I am researching everything, it is a new breed and a new hobby so I am scared to death of doing it wrong. Instead of a breeding trio I am doing a male and female pair, with separate 6'x3' pens with 18" nest boxes on either end. I am only getting one at this time because I still need to build the other hutch, I really want them to match each other in general appearances. Wish me luck guys, which one should I get first, the male or the female? I am also starting my kids on animal upkeep since I got so overwhelmed with 4 dogs in the house and keeping the house clean while trying to deal with Grandpa's house at the same time. Sorry for the ramble but you guys are like a good friend, I can always talk to you guys.

my crazy family did it by using a cook book from the late 1800's into the early 1900's . Salt, lard and "old eggs". We smoke, drink and all out enjoy life. Well that was until someone started taking all the natural safe fats out of our food and adding chemicals. Then they started putting water in the chickens and telling us DON'T EAT EGGS THEY WILL KILL YOU. Oh and make sure to take a bunch of unnecessary pills so your muscles aren't a little sore, but eventually you will need a kidney transplant because our pills will kill your organs. At that point the fear started and everyone got sick and started dying young.

Yes technology and medicine have a place, just not in my food or my land. That's how we managed,
1f606.png
, happily ever after until our bodies just couldn't any longer. Oh and SUNDAY WE DID NOTHING that resembled work.it was church and family. Dinner was a family event that was real food not something mom grabbed from the fast food place. Kids got their butt busted when needed and their mouth washed out with soap for foul talk. There were less "brats" because of it.

I totally agree @Chicken girl 15! I'm always amazed at how so many people put the control of their own health into someone else's hands! Modern medicine has its place, but many ailments we can prevent or manage ourselves.

Im getting the first of my meat bunnies tomorrow!!!! Im so excited that I am nervous about messing it up. I am researching everything, it is a new breed and a new hobby so I am scared to death of doing it wrong. Instead of a breeding trio I am doing a male and female pair, with separate 6'x3' pens with 18" nest boxes on either end. I am only getting one at this time because I still need to build the other hutch, I really want them to match each other in general appearances. Wish me luck guys, which one should I get first, the male or the female? I am also starting my kids on animal upkeep since I got so overwhelmed with 4 dogs in the house and keeping the house clean while trying to deal with Grandpa's house at the same time. Sorry for the ramble but you guys are like a good friend, I can always talk to you guys.

I'd get your male first and let him get settled into his pen...since you'll be taking the female to him for mating, he will need to be the most established in his "territory" than she will, I'm thinking.

Don't be scared...rabbits are easy if you use common sense and don't listen to all the folks on forums...they tend to scare folks with all the warnings and such. Clean water, clean food, clean cages, fresh hay(I always made little chicken wire hay bunkers up in the corner of the cage so they could pull down each piece as they needed and so much wouldn't get wasted by urine and such), fresh air, good space and common sense seems to measure success.

If you get kits that have gunky eyes, a little apple cider vinegar in the water will clear that up in a few days...you can also clean their eyes with baby shampoo or just a warm, damp cloth while the ACV does its magic.

Don't forget you'll need a grow out pen for the youngsters, so keep that in mind.

Before I even started my rant I'm going to apologize.. I try and keep family out of my posts as much as I can accept for the good stuff. Well today is not such a good day for my 7 year old son and I. He came home from school in a ugly mood. Had a tantrum about having to do homework. Then after all that was fixed he mouthed off. Yes I'm the mom who punishes. He got flicked in the lips, not hard mind you, there wasn't even a sound. His response was to hit me in my stomach!!@ So sadly for him his rear is grounded until I'm not sure when, his 18th birthday maybe? Sadly this is behavior he is picking up from his 2 older brothers (13&15) who the police won't do a thing about and neither will the mental health center. So what now? Someone in here has to have dealt with a confused misguided child. Please give me some advice. Yes I know it's illegal to beat a child and no abuse comes to my children but for the love of God I'm tired of getting hit and kicked.

PLEASEHELP..
1f614.png

Before I even started my rant I'm going to apologize.. I try and keep family out of my posts as much as I can accept for the good stuff. Well today is not such a good day for my 7 year old son and I. He came home from school in a ugly mood. Had a tantrum about having to do homework. Then after all that was fixed he mouthed off. Yes I'm the mom who punishes. He got flicked in the lips, not hard mind you, there wasn't even a sound. His response was to hit me in my stomach!!@ So sadly for him his rear is grounded until I'm not sure when, his 18th birthday maybe? Sadly this is behavior he is picking up from his 2 older brothers (13&15) who the police won't do a thing about and neither will the mental health center. So what now? Someone in here has to have dealt with a confused misguided child. Please give me some advice. Yes I know it's illegal to beat a child and no abuse comes to my children but for the love of God I'm tired of getting hit and kicked.

PLEASEHELP..
1f614.png

I wish I could help but I doubt there's anything I could say that could help you at all.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom