Homesteaders

roll.png
They ALL use that very same phrasing, like maybe they teach that in the Master classes now...if people won't listen to you on how to can by the book, threaten them with they will be killing their family, that always works!
roll.png

Same happens when you want to feed your flock differently than the majority....they threaten you will be shortening the lives of your flock if you do that, but since they've never done it, how would they know? They don't, they just read about it somewhere that someone who knows someone who told someone else that something they read said it could happen. Never any actual proof, just a lot of fear mongering and threats to conform to their way of doing things.
lau.gif
Ain't that the truth. I've read lots of articles and Lord have mercy it just gets more confusing. I was just telling some friends about Buckwheat and her swollen stomach. Everything I read said she was doomed but she's still with me. Years later. Glad I didn't put her down. I just did the best I could and laid hands on her in prayer.

I just offer suggestions since no one seems to have ALL the answers.

DW is just starting her treatments for her cancer again. Dr's can't say how everyone will react to treatments. I have one friend who survived Brain cancer and another who just passed months ago.

Point everyone has their system. If it works for you, keep up the good work.

Peace and have a good day.

We have a family of 8 too. I plan on buying Cornish crosses for meat this spring, and attempting my first meat bird experience. Suggestions and shared wisdom will be appreciated.

I'm still catching up on the last months post so this may have been answered several times. I like the dark Cornish and have a few crosses. I picked the Dark Cornish because they are good setters, decent layers and good meat birds. Also If I have an incubator full of eggs when I get called to go to a job it's hard to get them taken care of right. Before the DW came along but still good for the same reason. So sometimes I can come home from a job and have more chickens than when I left with no work on my part. It makes up for the huge predator problem I have.

thank you for the talk. Our households seem to have a lot in common. I hope you and yours can attend chickenstock this spring.

Lol, apparently you read that before I decided to delete it.
Sometimes I think I get a little to 'wordy', case of 'PWI'
lol.png

Got to make it over your way sometime, hope to get my butt in gear soon. I really really want those CX pullets. Have they started laying yet?
Seems like time just flies when your always busy, between job, kids, deer season, firewood, seemingly endless car repairs, Christmas.... have a lot of inside work to do on the house this winter, finish going on multiple three yr projects (DW not happy things are still not done, I'm slow) deer season comes first though
big_smile.png

Before I know it it'll be spring and I'll be wanting to fill the incubator and getting the garden prepared, plants started....

I'm still catching up on the last months post so this may have been answered several times. I like the dark Cornish and have a few crosses. I picked the Dark Cornish because they are good setters, decent layers and good meat birds. Also If I have an incubator full of eggs when I get called to go to a job it's hard to get them taken care of right. Before the DW came along but still good for the same reason. So sometimes I can come home from a job and have more chickens than when I left with no work on my part. It makes up for the huge predator problem I have.
lau.gif

Lol, apparently you read that before I decided to delete it.
Sometimes I think I get a little to 'wordy', case of 'PWI' :lol:

Got to make it over your way sometime, hope to get my butt in gear soon. I really really want those CX pullets. Have they started laying yet?
Seems like time just flies when your always busy, between job, kids, deer season, firewood, seemingly endless car repairs, Christmas.... have a lot of inside work to do on the house this winter, finish going on multiple three yr projects (DW not happy things are still not done, I'm slow) deer season comes first though :D
Before I know it it'll be spring and I'll be wanting to fill the incubator and getting the garden prepared, plants started....
sometime "wordy" isn't all bad. Just knowing I'm not the only one up a creek helps.

Still no eggs but you only have one pullet. Come to find out that one is not at all feminine. "She" is trying to crow now. They are both doing great though. They love their duck buddy. So like I said no hurry to come get her. I can keep him, I'm not sure he will be breedable without AI. He's a big boy. Sweet though. If you don't want him I will attempt AI with him and a BA hen.

Here's my ? of the day. I've never had insulated leather work gloves. Have always toughed it out, or borrowed hubby's gloves, which are obviously too big for me. Tired of freezing my fingers off every time I do out door work. I typically buy Women's med/large leather work gloves, or Men's small might do the trick. Want full grain, not split. I bet some readers can steer me in the right direction for decent gloves that get the job done without breaking the bank. So, what have you all bought and how was the quality?

Last edited:
I hit TSC and buy men's. The ones they call women work gloves are horrible . carhart are good and usually on sale this time of year. I help put up fencing and care for horses and help hubby load firewood and they hold up good. The ones for us are a joke and can't stand up to actual work other than walking a dog.

You can also put a jersey or regular cotton glove on then hubby's glove. My Ol'lady does it sometimes. She is not outside as much as you. But I do it and just left a job in Michigan (I'm an Okie) and got X-large instead of large. I do it at home building fence, feeding, or on the road cutting, grinding, and/or welding at a refinery or ethanol plant.

​You can also put a jersey or regular cotton glove on then hubby's glove. My Ol'lady does it sometimes. She is not outside as much as you. But I do it and just left a job in Michigan (I'm an Okie) and got X-large instead of large. I do it at home building fence, feeding, or on the road cutting, grinding, and/or welding at a refinery or ethanol plant.
I was born an Okie. Raised mostly in Kansas and Texas. Now I live in ny.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom