Homesteaders

Catfish, perch/blue gill, tilapia, carp are among your best bets. Check your local regulations and the local Agriculture Extension service for suggestions? Lots of info on the net about aquaponics and fish farming.
unfortunately the only fish we are allowed to culture with out and special permits and work, are trout. (rainbow,brook brown, and Atlantic salmon)
I had heard rainbow trout need cold water and didn't do well in shallow ponds, but catfish did
i would love to raise cat fish but here (i live in Canada) there illegal in my province to raise.

Oh! Canada. Sorry then, I got nuthin'. :confused:
i did some research and found out its quite common here for people to raise trout in dug outs and pot hole's, it says the need to be at least 8 feet deep for them to survive are summers (which this dugout is 15-20) and has to be at least 24 to survive are winters which its too shallow for them to survive the winter. (it can get down to minus 40C or colder where i live sask)

but if anybody has any tips on fish culture in a pond type system (does not matter the species) i would love to here about it. am just hoping to run into some one who raises trout in a pond. :)

My understanding is that among other things, most species of trout need clear water and excellent oxygenation. I know I was told that they don't do at all well in my area due to above and our higher temps. That's when I was stocking multiple very large and large manmade and natural ponds in south central Texas. Regulations aside, I didn't want something useless to me, but I also didn't want something potentially invasive or destructive to the natural ecosystem in case it escaped. Just something you might want to consider. Wishing you the best. I'm sure there are Canadians here who can help you.

Anyone homesteading with a toddler? I don't get any of our projects done it seems, we've been here almost a year and I'm not sure I have much to show for it!

You are doing the most important project that any one can undertake: you are raising the next generation of responsible human beings. Never underestimate the value of parenting. Also, Don't be shy about seeing to it that your little one learns to entertain himself. Too many parents feel the need to keep their kids constantly entertained. Such constant attention undermines self confidence and imagination, as well as problem solving skills (IMHO).

Stakes, t-post or panels puts a huge dent in anybody's wallet getting a lot at one time. I do the same with those of getting a few at a time.
Rome wasn't built in a day. Progress is progress.

P.S. It's a boy 8lbs 13.6oz.
yay us.

Congrats. That one is definitely a keeper!

I found a great bargain on metal stakes at Ocean State Job lots. 6' @ 1.50 each. They're not the strongest, but they are sufficient for most uses.

BTW, how is the cutie? @CLSranch

Doing well right now. Sleeping most of the night. He and the DW are at work with me (atleast in the camper) for another 2 wks before she has to go back home. Hopefully I still have chickens left when I finally get there. The bad thing about working on the road. But I couldn't work a normal job.

Back
Top Bottom