Homesteaders

You could still do a squarefoot garden, just make a walkway down the center - 2 3-foot rows with a 2-foot access down the center. Or 4x8 foot rows Does your garden run north-south or east-west? it will make a difference on how you set up your rows.

Ok, sounds like I'm going with the old traditional garden then.

I tried some of my raised beds as 'square foot'. It worked pretty well for smaller plants - lettuce, spinach etc. but as already mentioned, once plants get tall and bushy, they are a difficult to access, little air flow (think disease) and not too easy to harvest.
I returned to my old fashioned way of doing things - companion planting with plenty of space for things to grow into and get good air circulation and room to move between the plants. If you plant tomatoes etc. and plan to stake them up, put your stake/trellis/cone up long before the plant needs it - it will save you a lot of frustration!!
Good luck with the garden,
smile.png

The problem with trying to reach 4 feet into the garden is that plants grow up vertically as well as fill in with leaves and stems and such. Also, with square foot gardening, the plants are packed really tight together, the walkways will give the plants some room for additional light infiltration, otherwise most of your garden will shade itself.
A tomato plant will be planted at a density of 1 plant per 1 square foot on the ground, however, when it grows it will be closer to 4 feet tall and 3 feet in diameter. A jungle of garden plants will ge hard to keep disease and pest problems controlled.

My garden was only 3 1/2 feet by 7 1/2 feet and without being able to reach in from the other side, I would not have been able to use the peas to shade the spinach and extend my greens season.

Not sure everyone knows, one person didnt', that tomatoes can be "determinate" or "indeterminate". Determinate reach a certain height and stop. Indeterminates are like vines they can grow and grow.

Mother Earth news has some special issues out that are very good. I was just at the bookstore looking at them. At $9.99 a magazine I couldn't afford to buy them.

You make some valid points.

Everything I've read says beds should be no wider than 4 ft and should have access from both sides. This is the perfect width to allow good access.

Remember what I said about what works for you. There are no hard and fast rules.
wink.png

I read and look at lots of things and do what's right for me. EX. a 6' tall bean pole trellis won't work as I'm to short. I prefer pole beans because it give me more space than bush types do. I can plant cukes or squash at the feet of Pole beans too. Anyhow I use shorter and wider runs for the beans.

You could still do a squarefoot garden, just make a walkway down the center - 2 3-foot rows with a 2-foot access down the center. Or 4x8 foot rows Does your garden run north-south or east-west? it will make a difference on how you set up your rows.
If you can score yourself some 12" wide or wider barn boards you can lay these down and use them to walk on.
big_smile.png
You can also use pavers for "stepping stones". Find free stones on CL. I had a better pic but it wouldn't come through. Folks if you don't want to join Pinterest or some of the other sites, just google what it is you're looking for and you can find pictures and lots of Ideas. That's what I do.

EX. "Stepping stones in the garden" "Boards as walkway in a vegetable garden".

images
images

Last edited:
I don't know why the quote button won't work, so I'm doing it manually...

Quote:
Definitely! That's the advice I give to everyone about life. Especially parenting! ;)

I love pintrest! I have a garden board, a chicken board, and a farming board (among others). :)

We have celebrated christmas twice already. Driving to family tomorrow. Hope everyone has a great holiday season!

Not sure about anywhere else, but in Texas broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and lettuce are fall/winter crops. I have never been able to start them outside either--always have to start them inside.

Back
Top Bottom