Homesteaders

I'm in central Texas (zone 8). Our fall (mid Oct & Nov) and spring (Mar-May/June) have temps in the 70's & 80's. Winter (Dec-Feb-ish) is much like our fall & spring except with some weeks in the 50's & 60's, and some 20's, 30's & 40's occasionally thrown in there.

July, Aug, & Sept are usually HOT & humid. Our family works on inside projects as much as we can during those months. It usually doesn't start cooling down to a bearable temp until after 7pm. So you have about 1-2 hours of tolerable, though sticky, evening time to do outside chores & gardening. Most herbs do great in summer here. As do tomatoes and peppers. But it just seems to get too hot for some of the other things that ya'll probably grow up north during that time. On top of that, I don't want to be out in the heat trying to limp along some struggling plants that I could grow in the fall/winter much more easily. Yes, I'm THAT lazy.
lol.png

We actually have 2 window units in our barn to keep our dairy cows cool during the hottest part of the summer. The door has one of those refrigeration curtains on it to keep the cool air in and still allow the cows to come and go as they please. The temp in the barn is a cool 78- 80 degrees with about 20% humidity, which is a HUGE difference from 98-108 with 80% humidity.

It has had an enormous impact on the temperment of the cows. They're much less destructive and much less stressed. Research has shown that milk production is decreased by 40-50% when dairy cows are heat stressed. We A/C a 16x19 room for 3 jerseys, and our elect bill has increased by less than $50/mo. in July, Aug & Sept. The increase in summer milk production alone is worth that to me (if the research proves accurate). We're not in milk production yet, so it remains to be seen. But I can definitely say that the difference in their personalities from non-A/C to A/C is quite noticeable. They're calm, rested and playful. Not itchy, fussy, and rubbing all their hair off. It's also a low fly & mosquito zone, since they have to walk through the rubber curtain to get inside. Also, I'd MUCH rather milk a cow in 80 deg. than 100+ deg. Same goes for honey extraction. We do that inside also if it's too hot outside.

We're looking into building an underground barn, so hopefully we won't have to rely on electricity to cool it. We can also use it for root and cheese storage. That's a future dream/project though.

Anyhoo-- that's what works for us....

Oh good. Then you'll get to experience a Texas 'winter', if you haven't already. My DH and I lived in the Hou area for 20 years. They're zone 9 (coastal). We're 2 hours north of Hou now, and seem to have a different 'climate' (if you will). We've been in zone 8 for 5 years now, and I'm still learning about things I can grow here that I couldn't by the coast and vice-versa.

NYS is gorgeous. We were there a few years ago in the fall. Up by Rhinebeck & West Point. The trees were beautiful! Are you in a mountainy area?

Our property is located in what is called a Post Oak Savannah. We have veins of rich soil, veins of sandy loam, and veins of mucky clay & petrified wood running through our property. It's pretty neat, but also poses it's own set of problems. We can't just pick a plot and plant on it, we have to pick a plot and then figure out what trees, etc. would work in that particular vein of soil. LOL!

I use a combination of raised beds, sheet mulching, and guilds, though I haven't tried the three sisters guild yet. Right now I'm setting up our fruit tree guilds.

We found out that in the winter, a nursery chain in Houston, TX marks all their trees down by 70%. The people in that area seem to do more landscape type of planting, so they try to get rid of the trees to get ready for 'spring color' I guess. So my DH & I drive 2 hrs south and load up on fruit trees & vines. 1 gallon pots (trees & fruiting vines) for $4 to $18 each. Most run about $6-8. We bought one untagged "Mystery" tree for $4 just for fun last year. We still haven't figured out what it is.

Things like Kiwi's are in the $18 range (regularly $60). We got 2 females and a male last year to see if they would work in our zone, but the sun killed 1 female and fire ants killed the 2nd female. So now we just have one lonely male
th.gif
. All the 'cheap' plants lived though. Go figure. We'll get another female or two this year and plant them directly under the oak tree to see how that works. I'll also keep a better eye on them for fire ants. If that doesn't work, I don't know what I'll do with our poor little male. He seems pretty happy so far, so it's not the soil. I planted them on the north side of our chicken run which is under an oak tree, so they had something to climb, and they had shade. The male is a little more shaded than the females were though, so I'm hoping more shade is the key.

If anyone knows about kiwi's, I'm open for suggestions.
lol.png

That's interesting about the cows. We are thinking about getting a cow next year but figured we'd start with a goat to see if we can handle the milking chores. Luckily our summers don't get too bad here in zone 5b. We'll get a few days that get up to the 90's but mostly it hovers in the high 80's. And we live in a desert climate, so no humidity. It makes a world of difference. We don't even have A/C in our current house. The upstairs gets a little too warm, but turn the fans on, and it's not too bad.

We thought about doing those plastic door guards for our loafing shed for the horses to help keep the heat in in the winter. Were your cows scared of it at first? I'm worried they wouldn't go in there at all with those up.

I love end of season sales. We got our 6 fruit trees buy 2 get 1 free. They were 5 gallon pots and we got all 6 for less about $100! They have all survived so far too.

Wish I could help you with the Kiwi but there's no way we could grow those up here without a green house. We have red ants here but haven't seen them by the fruit trees yet. Hopefully they stay away. I used to run a vending machine business (the 25cent candy ones) and we painted this sticky stuff around the bottom of the pole to keep the ants from crawling up it. Wonder if that would work on trees, and how often you'd have to reapply from rain washing it off.

That's interesting about the cows. We are thinking about getting a cow next year but figured we'd start with a goat to see if we can handle the milking chores. Luckily our summers don't get too bad here in zone 5b. We'll get a few days that get up to the 90's but mostly it hovers in the high 80's. And we live in a desert climate, so no humidity. It makes a world of difference. We don't even have A/C in our current house. The upstairs gets a little too warm, but turn the fans on, and it's not too bad. 

We thought about doing those plastic door guards for our loafing shed for the horses to help keep the heat in in the winter. Were your cows scared of it at first? I'm worried they wouldn't go in there at all with those up. 

I love end of season sales. We got our 6 fruit trees buy 2 get 1 free. They were 5 gallon pots and we got all 6 for less about $100! They have all survived so far too.

Wish I could help you with the Kiwi but there's no way we could grow those up here without a green house. We have red ants here but haven't seen them by the fruit trees yet. Hopefully they stay away. I used to run a vending machine business (the 25cent candy ones) and we painted this sticky stuff around the bottom of the pole to keep the ants from crawling up it. Wonder if that would work on trees, and how often you'd have to reapply from rain washing it off. 

It sounds like you're in a good zone for a cow. In Texas you don't find many dairy cows. Mostly beef cows. If you do find dairy's, they're mostly in the northwest where it's dry (very low humidity). We thought about starting with goats 1st, but I don't like goat milk, and I've had goats (aka escape artists) before, and I really didn't want to deal with that, so we went with cows 1st. We LOVE our cows. My husband went out a few hours ago to close their "door", and when he came back in he said "I really love having cows". LOL! They're his girls. :lol:

I was also afraid the curtain would scare them, but they had zero issues with it. Just walked right through it. It's in the 30's & 40's this week (at night), and it really helps to keep the warmth in.

The fire ants on the kiwi were actually around the roots. I really didn't think they would do any damage to it. I thought they might even help aerate the soil and patrol for bugs. But I guess they either ate the roots, or their tunnels dried them out :idunno.

It sounds like you're in a good zone for a cow. In Texas you don't find many dairy cows. Mostly beef cows. If you do find dairy's, they're mostly in the northwest where it's dry (very low humidity). We thought about starting with goats 1st, but I don't like goat milk, and I've had goats (aka escape artists) before, and I really didn't want to deal with that, so we went with cows 1st. We LOVE our cows. My husband went out a few hours ago to close their "door", and when he came back in he said "I really love having cows". LOL! They're his girls.
lol.png

I was also afraid the curtain would scare them, but they had zero issues with it. Just walked right through it. It's in the 30's & 40's this week (at night), and it really helps to keep the warmth in.

The fire ants on the kiwi were actually around the roots. I really didn't think they would do any damage to it. I thought they might even help aerate the soil and patrol for bugs. But I guess they either ate the roots, or their tunnels dried them out
idunno.gif

I didn't really want goats either (they are such a PIA - they are lucky they are cute!) but I got them mostly to take care of the weeds in the area I have to walk through to get to the chicken coop that were 3ft tall and very prickly. They did a great job of that. Now that we have them we've decided to do milk. I've never had raw goats milk and have heard it's very similar, possibly a little creamier, than cow's milk. I've had pasturized goat milk and I didn't like it at all. I figure if we don't like the milk I'll just let her dry up and keep them as weed eaters. DD is going to show her for 4H also, so that's nice.

Glad to hear the cows didn't have a problem with the plastic. I think I'll look into it more seriously for the horses and goats and try it.

That's a good deal. I can get them for about $20 each but they never have anything I want. I'm old and wish we'd lived here years ago. Taking life as it comes is not the way to live. Planning or having a plan is better.

It is freezing here. Most of the chicken waterers are frozen solid. That means taking jugs of hot water out. At least we're warm.

Anyone have winter things they do when it's too cold to work out doors? What about when it's too hot?

I'll be making some jams and jellies. I pick and freeze berries to use later.

FYI, you can freeze tomatoes with the skins on and when you thaw them the skins come right off. The same with peaches. You can also cook up frozen tomatoes and cook them up and can them. Point being if you don't have enough to can, freeze them up until you do.

Have a Happy New Year.

Love ya,

Rancher

Hey there:)

We can grow certain kind of Kiwis in Quebec, so I think you could as well. Put lots of dead leaves on the plant before the winter colds and it should survive.
The kind I have is Issai. It is hardiness zone 4. I think you are zone 5b so it would work :)

The plant is pretty. Dark, shinny leaves. It climbs.

Hey there:)

We can grow certain kind of Kiwis in Quebec, so I think you could as well. Put lots of dead leaves on the plant before the winter colds and it should survive.
The kind I have is Issai. It is hardiness zone 4. I think you are zone 5b so it would work :)

The plant is pretty. Dark, shinny leaves. It climbs.
Interesting! Thanks. I never would have given it a second thought. Teach me for assuming!

My winter projects is planning for spring. We don't have any garden area setup in this new house so I have that to plan and planning the bees, a bat house, and an owl box. :)

My winter projects is planning for spring. We don't have any garden area setup in this new house so I have that to plan and planning the bees, a bat house, and an owl box. :)

Our winter project is similar to your other than the bat house (had no idea that folks raised bats to be honest) or an owl box. Right now we're getting the garden area set up and planning out what trees (post oak) I need to remove so that we can plant fruit trees and create a sunny area for the grapevine we found on the place. The only thing more difficult than figuring out where you want everything is the waiting to get started.

RichnSteph

Our winter project is similar to your other than the bat house (had no idea that folks raised bats to be honest) or an owl box. Right now we're getting the garden area set up and planning out what trees (post oak) I need to remove so that we can plant fruit trees and create a sunny area for the grapevine we found on the place. The only thing more difficult than figuring out where you want everything is the waiting to get started.

RichnSteph

We won't raise the bats or owls, just encourage them to be on our property. Our neighbors have a large pond that forms anytime we get a decent amount of rain and this last summer we were swarmed with mosquitoes. A single bat can eat thousands of mosquitoes in a single night! And the owls will help keep the rodent population down. We have an owl that lives nearby, so we're hoping we can encourage it or another one to live on our property. DD is obsessed with owls too so she'll love it. We've even talked about putting a little spy cam type camera in there so we can watch them without disturbing them. :)

I agree, planning is hard but waiting is harder! I need to get busy with my planning because I'll do seed starts indoors pretty soon!

We won't raise the bats or owls, just encourage them to be on our property. Our neighbors have a large pond that forms anytime we get a decent amount of rain and this last summer we were swarmed with mosquitoes. A single bat can eat thousands of mosquitoes in a single night! And the owls will help keep the rodent population down. We have an owl that lives nearby, so we're hoping we can encourage it or another one to live on our property. DD is obsessed with owls too so she'll love it. We've even talked about putting a little spy cam type camera in there so we can watch them without disturbing them. :)

I agree, planning is hard but waiting is harder! I need to get busy with my planning because I'll do seed starts indoors pretty soon!

Keep in mind owls will take a chicken if the opportunity arises or will they?

Back
Top Bottom