Homesteaders

Well the kids are sick with an ear infection and strep. Cats are puking in the hall because their feeder went empty over night. The dog turned 1 yesterday and now has a bald patch by her eye, no clue how or why. Phone is getting turned off in a few days, month to month contract so not a huge issue. And to top it all off my van got hit by a jacked up pickup, so I have a hitch sized dent and chunk missing in the back thats going to cost between $650 and $850 to fix.

So, I am roasting pumkins in the oven for pie, saving some seeds for the garden next year and roasting the rest. Dicing up potatoes to go in the freezer for my childrens breakfast since my oldest has a diet change that includes less bread. Later today I plan on making bulk homemade recipes that I found on pintrest so I don't have to buy tortillas, pancake mix and something else. The bunny is happy, I fixed her hutch this morning and gave her pellets after she was in the yard eating my grass that is too wet to mow for 2 days. She refused to come out this morning to do more yard work, so I will give her a day off. Redid the locks and hung the feeder on the second door, filled her water and went back inside. Gave the dog a bath, sent oldest off to school, he's no longer contagious. Worked for 20 minutes at a friends rental house, went home a started coffee. Cows are coming in the spring, we have fences to build at Dad/Grandpa's house when Dad gets back in off the road. Our beef that we are buying this year(hopefully the last one) will be ready February or March now, was supposed to be September 2015 then January. I will remain hermit until my bad luck has passed, it is 38° outside so I am staying in. I am going to sigh at the bad stuff and ignore it. Life goes on and it will get better.

Well the kids are sick with an ear infection and strep. Cats are puking in the hall because their feeder went empty over night. The dog turned 1 yesterday and now has a bald patch by her eye, no clue how or why. Phone is getting turned off in a few days, month to month contract so not a huge issue. And to top it all off my van got hit by a jacked up pickup, so I have a hitch sized dent and chunk missing in the back thats going to cost between $650 and $850 to fix.

So, I am roasting pumkins in the oven for pie, saving some seeds for the garden next year and roasting the rest. Dicing up potatoes to go in the freezer for my childrens breakfast since my oldest has a diet change that includes less bread. Later today I plan on making bulk homemade recipes that I found on pintrest so I don't have to buy tortillas, pancake mix and something else. The bunny is happy, I fixed her hutch this morning and gave her pellets after she was in the yard eating my grass that is too wet to mow for 2 days. She refused to come out this morning to do more yard work, so I will give her a day off. Redid the locks and hung the feeder on the second door, filled her water and went back inside. Gave the dog a bath, sent oldest off to school, he's no longer contagious. Worked for 20 minutes at a friends rental house, went home a started coffee. Cows are coming in the spring, we have fences to build at Dad/Grandpa's house when Dad gets back in off the road. Our beef that we are buying this year(hopefully the last one) will be ready February or March now, was supposed to be September 2015 then January. I will remain hermit until my bad luck has passed, it is 38° outside so I am staying in. I am going to sigh at the bad stuff and ignore it. Life goes on and it will get better.

Hang in there gal.. it will get better......
hugs.gif

Well now I could top that but I won't and I won't trade places. I would not want to have to go through raising kids again.
lol.png
Though as adults mine are bigger pains.
lol.png
I will offer this though. When you get to be my age and look back you're amazed what you've survived.

Does Washington not have vehicle insurance? If the other guy hit you shouldn't his insurance pay?

Antibiotics for the kids should be an easy fix. Some of the pharmacies here offer cheap or free antibiotics. Filling the cat dish should be an easy fix. Need a hand check with the local ASPCA and see if they'll donate a bag of cat food til things get better. (If you don't ask the answer is always no) Rub some vaseline on the dog's eye, might just be an irritation.

One thing I've learned about Homesteading is someone has to have an income from outside the homestead. All these folks who write about homesteading earn incomes from other sources. Perhaps you need to write a book.
lol.png

All that said, is there something I can do? Send you a phone card maybe?

Thomas Jefferson said "I find the harder I work the more luck I have", but I never liked him anyhow.
smack.gif
lau.gif

TLC goes a long ways so tonight tuck the kids in and read them a story. I can send you a nice Chicken storybook to read.
hugs.gif

Will be saying a prayer or two for you, (prayer helps too)

Rancher

Well now I could top that but I won't and I won't trade places. I would not want to have to go through raising kids again. :lol:  Though as adults mine are bigger pains. :lol:  I will offer this though. When you get to be my age and look back you're amazed what you've survived.

Does Washington not have vehicle insurance?  If the other guy hit you shouldn't his insurance pay?  

Antibiotics for the kids should be an easy fix. Some of the pharmacies here offer cheap or free antibiotics. Filling the cat dish should be an easy fix. Need a hand check with the local ASPCA and see if they'll donate a bag of cat food til things get better. (If you don't ask the answer is always no)  Rub some vaseline on the dog's eye, might just be an irritation.  

One thing I've learned about Homesteading is someone has to have an income from outside the homestead.  All these folks who write about homesteading earn incomes from other sources.  Perhaps you need to write a book.   :lol:

All that said, is there something I can do?   Send you a phone card maybe?  

Thomas Jefferson said "I find the harder I work the more luck I have", but I never liked him anyhow.  :smack :lau  

TLC goes a long ways so tonight tuck the kids in and read them a story. I can send you a nice Chicken storybook to read.  :hugs    

Will be saying a prayer or two for you, (prayer helps too) 

Rancher 

No clue who hit me, he probably didn't know he hit me. Hubby says it was most likely when I went to Walmart. I also got this van 2 months ago after my Hubby got hit by a boat on the new round-about they put in by the boat launch, got more for my old van than what we payed for it.
1f604.png
Kids are doctored up and smiling again, dog is on coconut oil in her food and slight amount on bald patch, I love her breeder very helpful at 10:00 at night, waiting to see if it helps. Being without a phone doesnt bother me, if I need anything for an emergency Hubby leaves his work phone home since it has no service where he goes half the time. Just means my Dad will lecture me on not letting him pay my bills, my sisters don't have any bills because he pays them and I don't think it's right. All the animals have food, got that last week, my cats are just on a diet because they hit 20 pounds of solid fat, so my male panics when it gets empty so he gorges then pukes everywhere. I have a small income that pays for animals and groceries, but tis the season for tighter budgets all around, so she is late paying me. Not abnormal, just irritating. Im afraid if I started a book my children would color and decorate it for me. Not to mention the 10 month old I watch would see if it is waterproof, he destroyed an airplane that the kids built at Home Depot yesterday with his mouth alone.
1f615.png
All in all today is a better day, the sun is out and I can see snow on the hills behind us, on the edge of the valley. So, fun stuff is on the way. Dad talked to Grandpa, and Grandpa approved the cows coming here from Oregon in the spring.

Kinda cute pictures, new thing my female hedgehog has done. Cleaned cages and the litterbox this morning, put new bedding in and she made tunnels!!! Not sure why but she had fun doing it, finally made a dip and 1/2 burried herself then fell asleep. Any idea if I can put the pine chips in the compost pile? They eat cat food and bugs, so I wasn't too sure. I am also tempted to put it in my empty beds, but that might be asking for rodent problems.

It's chilly today here and the wind makes it feel even chillier, but DH and his friends are working on finishing the new bigger run for the chickens. Next weekend or thanksgiving week the extra roosters will be going to freezer camp. Will also be getting the gardens ready for spring, pulling out he dead plants and letting the chickens move the soil then will add some manure/soil from the previous duck & chicken run that's no longer in use.

Back
Top Bottom