Homesteaders

I've been gone too long to read all the 200+posts, I hope everyone has been doing well. My garden is full of weeds, my chickens are doing great, will be incubating some eggs next week to get some birds for spring.

Howdy ya'll. I've been on BYC for awhile but just found this thread and am interested in doing much more on my own and being gone for work less away from home and have the DW quit working. I have a few acers and want a lot more. Have to be gone to pay for it all for now though.

So I want a much bigger coop than my current snap lick prefab coop, because I eventually want to add more chickens to the 4 I have. Hopefully next spring. I was going to build a hoop coop, but I've decided to try to convert my 7x15 rugged ranch walk-in pen to a coop. I have an outer run using poultry electric fencing. The inner walk-in pen is all metal with 2x2 welded wire. So I'm going to cover it with hardware cloth and cover half with a silver tarp and the other half with a clear tarp, so there's light in the coop. I think I can cover the north side with exterior plywood, with an small access door for the chickens. The south end I may be able to cover but that side has the original gate, which will become the human access door to the coop. I may just cover it with more tarp so I can remove it in summer. Add some nesting boxes and roosts, and hopefully I'll have a decent coop! If I could upload a picture I would, but I've had tech issues lately. Thoughts?

I would be worried about snow load on a low pitch roof ...make sure you have plenty of ventilation  https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

Good point! Have to think about that. I was hoping between the wire roof and hardware cloth, plus tarp, it'd be able to hold a fair amount. For ventilation, there's space between the vertical panels and "roof." But with tarps, that may not be enough. I was also considering cutting a window in the plywood on the north side. Again, points to consider as I try to put it together. Thanks!

Good point! Have to think about that. I was hoping between the wire roof and hardware cloth, plus tarp, it'd be able to hold a fair amount. For ventilation, there's space between the vertical panels and "roof." But with tarps, that may not be enough. I was also considering cutting a window in the plywood on the north side. Again, points to consider as I try to put it together. Thanks!
hoop coops have collapsed from snow if not shaken off or have a ridge board down the middle.
I put a lot of vents on the south, East and below the roof ,above the roosts so they don't get a draft... just a little for winter on the prevailing wind side, for me that is N and W... good to have ones that can be opened when more humid on all sides

How much snow do you get in Maryland? From what I can see you shouldn't have a ventilation problem. I do think out in the open like that wouldn't be good. Some shelter might be better. I've never considered these commercial coops they sell as sturdy enough for the colder climates.

Has anyone used these types of coops in the colder climates? If so how did they fare?

Back
Top Bottom