Homesteaders

Do any of you have recommendations on where to order seeds? I am looking into Artichokes in particular.
What kind of Artichoke? Jerusalem, or Globe? I use Fedco seeds for almost all of my seed needs.

I found HUNDREDS of bags of seeds behind a tractor supply co in their dumpster. They throw out all unsold seeds 4th of july weekend as well as all sorts of awesome stuff all year round.

I've got a serious jumpstart on my homesteading by dumpster diving. I barely spend any money which means I don't have to work much and what money I do make I can use to buy the few things I can't build or find.

Good luck!
Awesome find. I've never actually entered a dumpster. Sounds like a good opportunity. I find some awesome stuff for builds at my town dump. If I want to do some serious scavenging there, I have to go when my husband is not around. He'll roll his eyes when I put a few items into the truck. If I want any more than that, he gives me grief. Doesn't so much mind when I turn my treasures into something that I'd otherwise be buying materials for, though! Have picked up some fantastic windows and doors, thermopane for coop build. Could build a wood frame green house with all of the cast off windows I find at the dump in the spring. By far the greatest benefit realized from my town dump is the compost area. folks dump their leaves, grass clippings, stable litter, and yard debris there. Wood chips are also dumped by the truck load there. One of the town employees takes the front end loader and flips the massive piles. They used to use the same equipment to load your truck or trailer for free until liability became an issue. But, I can get some useful exercise and free compost at the same time. Those piles have steam rolling out of the middle of them.

our local dumps wont let you pick stuff up, and they sell their compost. it kinda stinks that we can't find great stuff like you guys do. going to make a couple of bunny hutchs from pallets, doing a lot of research into styles for cages that are wooden with wire bottoms.

My dump now has a no pick policy also, but I'm thankful that the employees always seem to be looking the other way when folks start ogleing the goods. There's a fence put up so folks can't go dumpster diving in the metals bin. But the wood deposit area is open and available till they burn it. I could make a decent coop simply by picking up wood and glass. There is a recycle building where folks drop off usable clothing and household goods. My neighbor brought home a ride on lawn mower that some one was discarding b/c it needed a new starter.

our local dumps wont let you pick stuff up, and they sell their compost. it kinda stinks that we can't find great stuff like you guys do. going to make a couple of bunny hutchs from pallets, doing a lot of research into styles for cages that are wooden with wire bottoms.
It always really gets me upset when dumps don't let people scavenge. I understand why they might not want that. Like I get it, but despite that, I really really hate it when elements of the system support and enforce the monopoly of survival the other elements of the system hold over us.

My dump now has a no pick policy also, but I'm thankful that the employees always seem to be looking the other way when folks start ogleing the goods. There's a fence put up so folks can't go dumpster diving in the metals bin. But the wood deposit area is open and available till they burn it. I could make a decent coop simply by picking up wood and glass. There is a recycle building where folks drop off usable clothing and household goods. My neighbor brought home a ride on lawn mower that some one was discarding b/c it needed a new starter.

My house has a tremendous amount of dumpster dived materials. My treehouses are 100% scavenged material.

Honestly, if my dump enforced such a policy I'd just do it anyway. But that's how I get in trouble more often than most. But thats also how I get what I want far more than most. Oh well.

The waste machine grinds on.

Our city dump doesn't allow scavenging but will often turn a blind eye to someone there dumping who takes a fancy to an easily reached item. (unless of course, they were eyeing it first lol) I am, however, the king of pulling over and grabbing stuff people put on the curb with their trash. My coops, hutches, workshop, raised beds, potting bench, and a lot of items in my home were built using reclaimed items

No time to catch up these days. BUT I'M GETTING ADS FOR ONIONS. SHOULD I BE PLANTING ONIONS AT THIS TIME OF YEAR? We're slated for snow next week. I did plant some garlic though.

Back
Top Bottom