Homesteaders

Glad I'm south of you. I got a buddy who always works up there. He gets me up there every now and then. It's usually 30* colder up there but at freezing here and 0 there I take off my coveralls. Not near so humid, but I can go with out the feet of snow.

Tooo many missed postings to catch up. catalogs are coming in and i'm planning the garden even though I don't know what the future holds. Taken a PT job and I'm just too tired. to try to catch up. Very cold out. It's hard to believe it's supposed to go into the 40's this week.
Will lift you up in prayer for an easy adjustment into your job, as well as ease of management of everything on the home front. I know I'm torn. Love the income, and enjoy my job, but every day I'm scheduled to work, I head out the door with the thought: I wish I was staying home today!"

I got the new edition of the magazine GRIT (not grits girls raised in the southLOL). But I thought it was a good edition to mention here. It's the guide to HOMESTEAD DIY PROJECTS. A lot of it most may already be doing, but for the newer people like me and maybe a different twist to what some have been doing. 1 was a composting system with 2 55gal plastic barrels. Set up on a A Frame of sorts with a 1/2"-1" pipe in the middle holding them up. You can just flip instead of stirring and mixing a pile with a rake. The other thing I liked most was using a new car alternator and old fan to make a wind mill. Ran down to charge golf cart batteries to supply power to a barn, off the grid cabin or whatever. Extremely detailed instructions. You can still just look at it and figure out what works for you. But for some it takes out the guess work and that's easier for those less mechanically inclined.

Thought some would find this useful.

NON PAID AD. lol

Summer needs to be back sooner! I am so tired of all the snow already, we got another 3-6 last night which isn't a lot but because the ditches were full you can't see the difference between ditches and road.

Snow has finally fallen on the homestead. Steer doesn't seem to care, old horse is full of something and vinegar and wouldn't let me take a decent pic without dancing around and tossing his head, and the chickens... well, let's just say they had a bit of a traffic jam to sort out this morning. Me? I love it!!

Beautiful pics!!!! My animals get frisky with a new snow fall too....and folks out there thinking they are suffering and we should bring them inside.
roll.png

Beautiful pics!!!!  My animals get frisky with a new snow fall too....and folks out there thinking they are suffering and we should bring them inside.  :rolleyes:
Absolutely not!! My cats and dogs love this weather. My door is here if they want to come say hi but that never last long. They are completely foolish in this weather. Climbing trees, making snow forts you name it.

Absolutely not!! My cats and dogs love this weather. My door is here if they want to come say hi but that never last long. They are completely foolish in this weather. Climbing trees, making snow forts you name it.

My cars hate it! It was -15 this morning. Cats did not want to go outside. Dog is not allowed inside anyways, and she's been outside her whole life. The only reason she likes it colder is because she's double coated

Last edited:
my cats are outside barn cats. They live with my chickens and duck. They keep rodents out of the feed.

We have barn cats too, but we have 4 house cats, 2 are 10 years one is 8 and another is under a year. The barn cats are also double coated, but I don't see them much since its always dark when I go do chores

Last edited:
Well last week we had a couple of inches of snow which of course closed down the schools and many other places. My chickens refused to leave their coop until the snow was pretty much gone. I haven't had a single egg since the snow. Lol, I was only getting a single egg a day anyway. I sure have missed getting that egg! Today it's cloudy with a chance of rain and 70 degrees. The wind has been blowing hard and has got all our sinuses stirred up but I'm happy for warmer weather.

Speaking of eggs (?) and caught a couple of my pullets and decided to check them to see if they are laying (remember one egg a day). One of my production reds and since she is only two fingers wide I figure she's not laying yet either. I need to check them all. I may only have a couple laying (or 1). My blue cochin mix is just now getting a little red on her comb so I know for sure she isn't, plus cochins are famously late laying and she's only about 8 months.

Back
Top Bottom