Homesteaders

is your vertical or at a slant for the cucumbers? i dont have cattle pannels but i am hoping to send them up onto the wire that is like 1"x2". It is just scrap but i don't see the point in buying a bunch of wire just for a small garden. the peas pretty much need a trellis right? Or can they stand by themselves? Sorry for all the questions, but I have a blueprint in my mind that I would love to put into action this year for my garden.

Mine are vertical and peas need a trellis if you want them to climb/grow upwards and keep less wet all the time...peas are light enough that some just string wires or twine for them to grow up. The wire you have should suffice but give it good support and make it high, depending on the type of cuke you grow, they can get pretty long vines and the cukes can be pretty heavy.

The only problem with the 1"x2" is that you will have to pick from each side. With the cattle panels or a similar fencing, the squares are usually large enough to reach through.

I purchased a nylon netting material made for gardens, it was pretty cheap ($2 for 3'x 10 ') so I thought I would try it. I put a t-post on each end with wire between. Then I tied the netting on that. Strong enough for peas and beans, not sure about cukes - those are pretty heavy. Hard to get the netting out of the plants for composting and reusing the next summer.

Raech, I'd suggest that you take a trip to your local library and bring home an arm load of books. You're bound to find some good ideas in each gardening book you pick up. If that's not your style, you can simply do a google search about each type of veggie you want to grow, and get lots of info. One thing to consider: If you're in gardening for the long haul, it's better to spend a little more money initially to buy stuff that will last 10 years or more. You can also re-purpose a lot of stuff. If you keep your eyes open, you may be able to turn some one elses trash into a functional and not half bad looking trellis.

And remember Raech. Most of us me anyway are on here just to learn from others who have already been there, or simply just a different view than your used to that can open your eyes to a whole new thought, idea or way of thinking. ASK AWAY
I like the cattle panels for my tomatoes. Cucumbers, watermelon or canteloupe need lots and lots of room if your not going vertical. I love all of those and 1 mound of each is bigger than my brothers garden. But oh so good. I picked some 20pd watermelon last year outside of my garden with a 1x2 fence around it.

Raech, I'd suggest that you take a trip to your local library and bring home an arm load of books. You're bound to find some good ideas in each gardening book you pick up. If that's not your style, you can simply do a google search about each type of veggie you want to grow, and get lots of info. One thing to consider: If you're in gardening for the long haul, it's better to spend a little more money initially to buy stuff that will last 10 years or more. You can also re-purpose a lot of stuff. If you keep your eyes open, you may be able to turn some one elses trash into a functional and not half bad looking trellis.
im all for the library, they know me by name now LOL. I am just new to the vertical gardening, I just found out I might be moving this spring, so all of my garden plans are on hold until i find out more. Dad is talking about putting a house on the lower property this spring and moving us into the big house. Im excited and scared at the same time, that is alot of house for me to worry about and redo to what Hubby and I want.

I tend to grow bush beans and cucumbers so no need to trellis. Though I'll admit pole beans outproduce bush, and cukes on a trellis take up less room.
I used a fifty foot welded wire fence for yrs for peas, place fence on the side the sun so they grow into it. Put it on the other side first yr and had to keep pulling them back... Peas you can pick relatively easy with the fence cause they don't grow to where you can't pick the entire plant. When their dead and dry easy to remove and clean up fence. Tomatoes on the other hand, mistake. Supported them great, easier than cages or stakes, until it came to picking and I had to cut holes along the entire fence to get to the backside of the plants tomatoes cause they grew so massive you couldn't reach from the other side. The peas I've just been using fence posts now and running string as they grow. Used jute twine last yr thinking I wouldn't have to clean it up, just rot and mulch in, stuff sagged too much every time it rained. Another mistake I made with the peas was using those cheap metal T-posts with the wire fence, 50'x4' row of thick planted peas makes a nice sail apparently and ended up bending all the posts over to the ground after a night of heavy wind gusts, ripping half the roots out to boot...
Last yr I inoculated kidney beans and white navy beans (both bought at the dollar store the big bags of dry beans you eat, they grow great! and a dollar a pound!) and planted them right with my rows of corn to give the corn a boost of natural nitrogen. They are really not much of a climbing beans though, grew good but think I'll go with a better more vigorous climber this yr. Hoping to get my hands on some Haudenosaunee skunk beans, they are ideal for that purpose and native to our area, a little expensive though.

Finally chicken holdable. Not done priming and a few other little things

The tire is bolted to a 2x4 bolted offset 2" to the 4x4 upright picking up 2" off the ground. Changing that to 3 1/2" to go over uneven ground

The 2x4 is down to set the frame back onto the ground.

They need little steps for todays freezing rain.

Extra 2x4 to drill a hole and drop a pin through into the lawn mower hitch. Used the dog collar to put it on the truck hitch last night because the mower wouldn't start. It doesn't turn when the front is 6" away from the bumper. Went short to pick it up instead of dragging and maybe catching then ripping the wire off the bottom. I almost broke it and the upright.
Going to add a jack on the front like the tire set up in the back, for the lawn mower height.

Nice job. When you get a chance, would love to see close ups of your rear tire mount on 2 x 4. Let us know how it holds up to the rigors of being hauled around.

I kinda did a quick job going to tighten it up after the test run of pulling it out of the drive way and going through a big rut. Also had to drag it side ways in the back to turn it. That half tore 1 wheel off. I believe the extra 1 1/2' and not hooking it to the truck will help. But will send pics.

Back
Top Bottom