Homesteaders

I think they are some of the most useful and frugal livestock to get, maintain, transport and reproduce.  Rabbits are great for that too, but the chickens can do so much for the land that rabbits cannot.  Chicken flocks have helped women down through generations have livestock they can handle, giving many a woman a chance to earn extra money towards household expenses, food, shoes and clothing for the children, etc., that they would not otherwise have had. 

Pigs can have large litters, thus giving big rewards....but they also are big eaters and very destructive if left out on the land.  Chickens can reproduce their own kind in larger numbers than even pigs and they can do it several times a season without much stress on their bodies or health.  They also produce food daily, unlike the pigs.  Their meat is healthier for you than most other livestock, their eggs are perfectly packaged protein capsules, their feathers can make pillows, mattresses and coverings, and even warm clothing. 

They actually aerate, reseed and fertilize their own pasture, while removing pest bugs from gardens and orchards.  They can even give you a wake up call each morning, depending on when you'd like to wake up.  They don't require elaborate housing or fencing, are easily killed and butchered by even young children, and they stay healthy without aid of medicines if managed properly.  One can breed into quality birds in a surprisingly short amount of time, much shorter than one can with larger livestock.  They don't require special vehicles for transport, are easy to catch and move, and are light on feed.  They even give farm dogs a job and entertainment, as they attract predators...without that to spice up their lives, my dogs wouldn't have much to do around here but sleep and eat. 

In short, chickens are ideal livestock for any homestead or farm in just about any climate on the planet.  To me they just make sense...if one has a reasonable amount of land to keep a flock fed and healthy, if it's hospitable to chicken life, there should be chickens on it. 

YES!! BEST answer ever!! :)

Homesteading things...we are experiencing an early spring. Egg counts are high, temps are balmy, chores scream for attention. I really needed to prune watersprouts from the apple trees in January but kept waiting for sufficiently cold temps to do so and they never arrived. So, looks like those will just have to be done now. I've still got chores backed up from fall, so I really need to sit down and make a new list for the new season.

Bluebirds fighting and building nests all around the meadow....beautiful pieces of deep blue sky flitting here and there.
love.gif
Was out checking the compost under the fruit trees and in the garden today...getting deeper in both places.

Grandgirl came out for a visit and helped me move some wood chips today...placing them in areas of high traffic in the yard to keep the mud at bay. It was so warm we had a picnic and I think I got a sunburn on my face today...it feels a little scorched tonight. Just a wonderfully beautiful day and tomorrow is supposed to be the same way. I hope to get a few things done out there.

Awe Bee..what a precious little helper you have. I kinda like your four legged helpers too! Nice dogs!

lol.png
Underneath it all, that's probably true.

Or it could be that , as we age, we become more like children in our thinking....we lose inhibitions and stop caring so much about what our peers think, we feel comfortable in our own wrinkly skin and we don't mind making a fool of ourselves in play.

We also have well established routines, which I think make children feel more secure...we are something they can count on in a world that changes all around them, especially now.

We also value the time more....what we do with our time is more geared towards enjoying every moment, as we know how precious that time is now that we are older. Little kids know how to enjoy the NOW also, so we have that in common as well.

My grandgirl and I both often need naps or rest times to get through the day or we'll be cranky before bed time, we both have a sweet tooth, we both have to pee frequently and often we are both wearing a type of diaper/moisture control~we understand what it feels like to pee our pants when we can't help it or didn't know it was going to happen. We both love snuggles in the evening and neither of us care for watching TV...we enjoy reading books together or coloring together much more than watching a blaring TV, so our evenings are quiet and that feels good.

We have more in common than our enemies....we are both enjoying life with our every second, she because she doesn't know any better than to not worry about tomorrow or yesterday, and me because I do know better than to worry about yesterday and tomorrow. We are living and loving in the NOW and that's a sweet and wonderful thing!
love.gif

Last edited:
lol.png
Underneath it all, that's probably true.

Or it could be that , as we age, we become more like children in our thinking....we lose inhibitions and stop caring so much about what our peers think, we feel comfortable in our own wrinkly skin and we don't mind making a fool of ourselves in play.

We also have well established routines, which I think make children feel more secure...we are something they can count on in a world that changes all around them, especially now.

We also value the time more....what we do with our time is more geared towards enjoying every moment, as we know how precious that time is now that we are older. Little kids know how to enjoy the NOW also, so we have that in common as well.

My grandgirl and I both often need naps or rest times to get through the day or we'll be cranky before bed time, we both have a sweet tooth, we both have to pee frequently and often we are both wearing a type of diaper/moisture control~we understand what it feels like to pee our pants when we can't help it or didn't know it was going to happen. We both love snuggles in the evening and neither of us care for watching TV...we enjoy reading books together or coloring together much more than watching a blaring TV, so our evenings are quiet and that feels good.

We have more in common than our enemies....we are both enjoying life with our every second, she because she doesn't know any better than to not worry about tomorrow or yesterday, and me because I do know better than to worry about yesterday and tomorrow. We are living and loving in the NOW and that's a sweet and wonderful thing!
love.gif
Well stated, Bee!

Back
Top Bottom