Homesteaders

Can you explain turning the tops down on brown paper bags to show the okra and tomatoes?

cuff the top of the bag (instead of closing) not paper or produce but the same idea

images
Lunch bags are too long to stand by themselves I would think. By turning tops down like Molpet has done here you can stand your Okra or Asparagus spears up to just show the top quarter or third. What ever you harvested for the day can be set out for sale on a table or bench. Eggs could be set out in a cooler with a couple of frozen reusable ice packs.

Why I came on.  I was reading about LEAD. 

[COLOR=1D2129]
Lead. As in Lead in the soil. Many urban gardens and even rural homes might have excessive lead in the soil. Children are most vulnerable since the play in the soil and absorb lead through their skin.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=1D2129]

[/COLOR]
[COLOR=1D2129]
However in short: "Because plants don't absorb much lead, your vegetable will be safe to eat. Even so, the CDC and other groups recommend taking different precaution for three groups of vegetable crops - fruits leaves and roots - according to their lead risk levels. Fruiting bodies, such as tomatoes, peppers, and raspberries, are the least likely to contain lead: the risk is virtually non existent. Leafy crops tend to contain higher concentrations but most of the risk of ingesting lead is from the soil on them. Wash your lettuce and cabbages carefully and discard the older outer leaves. Because root crops form in the soil they carry the greatest risk of holding lead in their skins and in soil embedded in the skin. Wash your potatoes and carrots carefully with water containing vinegar (in a 1 percent solution or edible soap, and discard the skins when you prepare you vegetables for cooking. "
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=1D2129]

[/COLOR]
[COLOR=1D2129]
You can read the entire article in Heirloom Gardener a good magazine on growing your own food.
[/COLOR]

Of course in the city areas raised beds can help but the article mentions other options I can't type up here.  Her's a nice suggestion. If you live in a rural area why not start at magazine sharing club or library?   A central location where folks can go to read each others magazines.  A one room building would suffice. Each could drop off a used chair for their self or small table  with a $15 Mr. Coffee maker and an outhouse would be good too.  Kind of like a one room community gathering place.  Perhaps the local Fire hall could serve too. 

Well as usual I've said too much. Sorry.  No we don't have a three legged mule. :lau

TTFN, 

Love ya Rancher
a good idea for anyone and everyone is to have the local health department test for lead. They do the test for free and give a ton of information to help with knowledge. My 2 youngest kids ended up with lead poisoning in 2012 and it's no joke. The state is good about helping though.

a good idea for anyone and everyone is to have the local health department test for lead. They do the test for free and give a ton of information to help with knowledge. My 2 youngest kids ended up with lead poisoning in 2012 and it's no joke. The state is good about helping though.
Keep in mind that if you call the State they may find lead and force you to pay for a expensive removal. I know we rented and the kids tested high. The state came in and made the landlord repaint to cover the lead, but things may change when it's your soil that's contaminated.

Our property was used for a dump of sorts by previous owners and Lord only knows what they dumped back there. I have an old iron bed and far to many tires. Which of course is why I use raised beds. I laid down plastic and then the beds to protect my garden. Flowers I don't worry about, but food plants I do.

Now for why I'm here. I've started plants in trays with those plastic covers. When moisture accumulates on the plastic covers do you think I should lift the covers or just leave them. I am turning the trays as the plants "lean" toward the light. This pic is not mine, but like mine. Only one really has moisture on the cover.

2011-03-19-03.jpg

Last edited:
Now for why I'm here. I've started plants in trays with those plastic covers. When moisture accumulates on the plastic covers do you think I should lift the covers or just leave them. I am turning the trays as the plants "lean" toward the light. This pic is not mine, but like mine. Only one really has moisture on the cover.

2011-03-19-03.jpg
I do not know if it is right or not, but I leave mine with the moisture in it. I lift off the top and let it dry out only if I think everything is completely water-logged and going to start molding.

I agree with leaving it unless there seems to be excessive moisture. I try not to let more than a 1/16" of water stand in the bottom unless I just watered them.

I am in northern WI and start my seeds in late winter - like now. I just started flower seeds this week and I am 2 weeks behind this year. With the pellet stove, the furnace and the cold air outside there is a definite lack of moisture in the air. I use the domed seed starters specifically to hold in the moisture. This was critical for success when I lived in WY which was high mountain desert.

The seedlings will do well in a slightly more humid environment than the static filled house I live in. I tend to tap on the plastic to knock the water droplets off. I take the tops off after a couple of weeks anyway, because the seedlings get too tall and touch the sides/top. It the leaves touch the plastic, they will stay wet and get moldy/rot. If you open it up, you are more prone to have it too dry and stunt the seedlings that way - at least that has been my experience. Once they are 3-4 inches tall, I remove the tops completely and put an oscillating fan on low to blow over them for an hour+ a day to help develop stronger stems.

Back
Top Bottom