Homesteading breeds for animals that work best?

Morgk

Songster
Mar 29, 2020
I know everyone has different opinions and I’m open to all of them. I’m live in Northwestern Wi so the climate is different then Florida’s. I’m wondering what are the best homestead animal breeds for the ones I list below. I will need them cold hardy.
Pigs, Dairy Cow, Pet Goats and Dairy Goats, Chicken, Turkeys

Chanteclers were developed to do well in cold climates, and other chickens to consider would also have small combs and wattles, and be larger and a bit fluffy. Henderson's Poultry chart is helpful, and for good advice look on the Livestock conservancy's website.
Small breed cattle are best for a family, like Dexters or maybe milking Devons. And cows need friends of the same species! Goats are smaller and might be easier. Do you have experience with cattle or goats? Milking experience? Having either is a major commitment, and needs a nearby veterinarian who does cattle and/ or goats.
Mary

Availability in your area is going to make a big difference. Check CL or Facebook groups to see what breeds are available in your area and how much they'll cost. You might like a certain breed but if it's not available locally or costs too much it won't do you much good. Sometimes a cheap mixed breed you can easily get will work just as well for your needs.

I'd consider how many animals your property can sustain. You don't want to cram a lot of animals in a too small space because you'll end up with a lot of issues, example: worm overload. And you'll want to think about if the land will provide enough feed or if you'll have to buy everything. This is very dependent on your location. Your local extension office should have that info for you.

I know everyone has different opinions and I’m open to all of them. I’m live in Northwestern Wi so the climate is different then Florida’s. I’m wondering what are the best homestead animal breeds for the ones I list below. I will need them cold hardy.
Cochin, Orpington, wyandottes, and australorps are all cold hardy. Just look up cold hardy chicken breeds. Idk about pigs dairy cows and Turkeys. I had a miniature fainting goat and he was cold hardy. Thats all I know about goats breeds though. How cold hardy are you looking for? Like Alaska cold hardy. Lol 😆

What breeds do you drive past? What do your neighbor's raise? What are there a lot of at the local livestock auction?

That's what does best in your area.

I'm a dairy farmer in Wisconsin. We have mostly Jerseys. The milking herd lives in the tie stall barn over winter, but the older heifers and young heifers (bigger weaned calves) live outside with shelters.

Cochin, Orpington, wyandottes, and australorps are all cold hardy. Just look up cold hardy chicken breeds. Idk about pigs dairy cows and Turkeys. I had a miniature fainting goat and he was cold hardy. Thats all I know about goats breeds though. How cold hardy are you looking for? Like Alaska cold hardy. Lol 😆
Like coldest here is -30

For pigs, if I were you I would look into Large Blacks. They are a heritage breed, are lean and well muscled, and do well in a pasture environment. Look them up.

Hello! Just curious- negative 30 celsius or fahrenheit? While breeds like orps and cochins certainly can be cold hardy, frostbite can be a pain to deal with. Therefore, I'd suggest breeds with rose or pea combs, like Wyandottes or Dominiques. You mentioned homesteading- are you thinking of also using them for meat? Wyandottes and dominique's are both dual purpose.

Need a bit more info...
How much land do you have
What infrastructure is there now or will there be.
How much knowledge do you know about animals.
Are you looking to get these asap, all at once, one type of livestock at a time?

I would concentrate one one type of animal first. What do you like about this animal, what DON'T you like. Can you manage it alone if you had to? Is there a vet that is close by or do you have a vehicle for hauling these animals.

Chickens are easy, no heat but a draft free and solid coop with extra room.
There are a ton of sites that list all the breeds and what they are good for and not good for.
Someone could recommend a frizzle chicken but if you don't like the look it's a waste of time.
Do you want it for eggs or meat or just a pretty chicken.
I can say after having Polish, which I loved, their head feathers froze and I'll Never have that again... along with feathered legs due to my snow and cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom