Homesteading/Off Grid Living near South Eastern PA?

PhillyDelcoChix

Songster
Jan 8, 2020
Springfield PA
Hello all,
Looking for anyone knowledgeable about living on a 3-5 acres or more, relatively inexpensively in this area.
We really love the area near chaddsford, brandy wine valley, and Coatesville.
This is all assuming my husband will be working for the same company, but we’d like much more space, less noise, neighbors less close, off grid not 100% necessary.
Price is the main issue... of course.
Thanks! 🤗

Pottstown and Phoenixville are very crunchy evolved Agriculture based, sustainable communities.
I am in lower bucks county, and we are all about cutting all costs at every turn so we live a theoretical 'off grid'.

In our farming experiences together we have hand washed clothes, hanging laundry. Gone without electricity during renovations, and engineered compost toilets for agro tourism camp sites. Providing 90% of what we eat ourselves, and set up charcoal 3 stage water filtration. Built many rocket stoves, tapped trees, tried to catch swarms, foraging whole meals, sewn/knitted bags and clothes, built natural fencing from willow, and more.....but writing that down was an Excellent EXERCISE!
The first ag lease I had was 40 acres, and even there almost impossible to escape humanity. Wifi....steady cell signals.

We were in Upper Black Eddy recently, and the area of lake Nomoxomin (spelled wrong) is pretty removed for being so close.
No cell signals, Milford's the closest grocery store, mountainous, and definitely not the same 7A zone as us in lower Bucks.

Scranton and the poconos are also very isolated,
but as far as the real "off Grid"....you might have to venture to potter county or along the NY state border.

Pottstown and Phoenixville are very crunchy evolved Agriculture based, sustainable communities.
I am in lower bucks county, and we are all about cutting all costs at every turn so we live a theoretical 'off grid'.

In our farming experiences together we have hand washed clothes, hanging laundry. Gone without electricity during renovations, and engineered compost toilets for agro tourism camp sites. Providing 90% of what we eat ourselves, and set up charcoal 3 stage water filtration. Built many rocket stoves, tapped trees, tried to catch swarms, foraging whole meals, sewn/knitted bags and clothes, built natural fencing from willow, and more.....but writing that down was an Excellent EXERCISE!
The first ag lease I had was 40 acres, and even there almost impossible to escape humanity. Wifi....steady cell signals.

We were in Upper Black Eddy recently, and the area of lake Nomoxomin (spelled wrong) is pretty removed for being so close.
No cell signals, Milford's the closest grocery store, mountainous, and definitely not the same 7A zone as us in lower Bucks.

Scranton and the poconos are also very isolated,
but as far as the real "off Grid"....you might have to venture to potter county or along the NY state border.
Thanks for the advice, I’ll look into those areas.
Your experiences sound very fulfilling. I hope I can get out of this noisy, traffic filled community soon.

Is lack of cell signals a requirement of 'off grid' self-sustenance?
Semi-rhetorical question.
I think they are, but I don’t think my husband could live without internet. Possibly me too.
If you are off grid, I’m not sure how internet could be connected. That’s what off the grid means...
Any off gridders with experience: please help us out

I believe that, technically, 'off grid' means 'not connected to the commercial power grid'.
Doesn't mean you can't have solar power, which could charge a phone/device that connects to the internet wirelessly.

Philosophically, 'off grid' could have many meanings/definitions.
Same goes for all the other buzzwords connected to the 'simpler living' premise.

I used to live in Chester County and as far as somewhere to love more off the grid for less it’s going to be more difficult to do out that way as the taxes are pretty high. My husband and I bought our house out in Lancaster County and the taxes much lower, and in my opinion a little more in the boonies. I do know that if you found something on the outskirts of coatesville you could find something for a somewhat decent price and more secluded, again just higher taxes. Good luck with your home hunting!

Thanks for the reply!
Not really a house hunting time of course, but once we’re back to a normal sort of life.
My parents live in Lancaster, and I grew up there about 1/2 of my childhood. East hemp field area.
We love driving down route 30 to their house and back admiring the farms and animals along the way.
Taxes are the decider aren’t they. The price I’d land can vary pretty wildly through PA but the taxes can be pretty brutal!

Back
Top Bottom