Homework *groan*

Quote:
LEGALLY?
ep.gif
WHAT?You mean you're actually going to complain about HOMEWORK?
th.gif

You're darn right that I'm against it when it's nothing more than homework for homework's sake. Children are on buses and in school for more than eight hours a day. Classes should be planned for the time allotted, and kids should practice what was taught in CLASS immediately after, not hours after when they're at home unless they didn't have time to finish IN CLASS. No child should have to transport home anywhere close to 40 pounds of ANYTHING.

OMG joebryant....you are actually going to complain about a harmless sheet of paper????I don't like homework,of course,but this is a hugeoverreaction.
th.gif

Quote:
You're darn right that I'm against it when it's nothing more than homework for homework's sake. Children are on buses and in school for more than eight hours a day. Classes should be planned for the time allotted, and kids should practice what was taught in CLASS immediately after, not hours after when they're at home unless they didn't have time to finish IN CLASS. No child should have to transport home anywhere close to 40 pounds of ANYTHING.

OMG joebryant....you are actually going to complain about a harmless sheet of paper????I don't like homework,of course,but this is a hugeoverreaction.
th.gif

He is complaining about forty pounds on a growing child's back not a piece of paper.

Quote:

th.gif

No its not...Joe, as usual, is right...
this kid has 40 lbs of books to carry.. THATS a huge problem..IMO

I taught for 6 years before opening my daycare to stay home with my children. I taught 5th grade history for 4 of those years. I told the kids that if we work hard in class there would be no homework.
wink.png
Most took that deal. Once in a while at the end of the chapter I would assign the questions at the back but I think discussing the questions in class is far more beneficial than assigning a bunch of work to do at home.
I would teach Math also and I would assign 10 problems at the end of the period. If the child mastered all those problems without missing one then they were homework free. I think this really made the students listen so they wouldn't have the homework.
wink.png

Quote:
What did you teach? The reason I ask is, some subjects really are improved by repetition and rote memorization of certain aspects until they become second nature. Also, for kids who are planning to attend college, they will need to learn study skills if they are going to make the most of it. When I taught general education science to college kids, a goodly portion of my job was directing freshmen to the tutoring office to learn basic study skills, and there were indeed some students who had absolutely no experience of taking notes from a lecture, reviewing for exams, using the library, mnemonics tricks, etc. Some didn't make it through their first year. Of course, if you argue that not everyone who ends up in college really should be there, I'd certainly agree!

Incidentally, most white-collar folks I know who are currently employed do, in fact, work 50-80 hour workweeks. Mostly because they are picking up all the projects for their colleagues who have been "downsized"...
sad.png

I'm home sick at the moment, only instead of resting and getting well, I'm supposed to be working on a manuscript. Such is life in the modern world.

Edited to add: Oh yeah, 40 lbs. of books. Agree that that is too much. Can the relevant homework not be photocopied from specific pages? I am old enough that when I was a kid, our homework consisted of mimeographed purple pages to take home, and maybe a couple of small books if we had a reading assignment. Essays were written in the school library during study hall, because reference materials weren't allowed out of the library. Don't remember hauling around an awful lot of books until college.

Last edited:
Quote:
What did you teach? The reason I ask is, some subjects really are improved by repetition and rote memorization of certain aspects until they become second nature. Also, for kids who are planning to attend college, they will need to learn study skills if they are going to make the most of it. When I taught general education science to college kids, a goodly portion of my job was directing freshmen to the tutoring office to learn basic study skills, and there were indeed some students who had absolutely no experience of taking notes from a lecture, reviewing for exams, using the library, mnemonics tricks, etc. Some didn't make it through their first year. Of course, if you argue that not everyone who ends up in college really should be there, I'd certainly agree!

Incidentally, most white-collar folks I know who are currently employed do, in fact, work 50-80 hour workweeks. Mostly because they are picking up all the projects for their colleagues who have been "downsized"...
sad.png

I'm home sick at the moment, only instead of resting and getting well, I'm supposed to be working on a manuscript. Such is life in the modern world.

I taught gifted education (all subjects) and Chinese language and culture.
BTW, I agree with everything you said.

Quote:
th.gif

He is complaining about forty pounds on a growing child's back not a piece of paper.

Ok..that is a LOT of homework.:thAll I have for homework is a math sheet and I have to study for a test.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom