Honey the Roo

Love My Chickies

Songster
May 24, 2021
Texas City, TX
This is my rooster (cockrel) Honey. He's about 14 weeks old. As a chick he was extremely friendly and loved to be held. As he grew, he no longer wanted to be held or touched. He has recently begun pecking at me and has charged at me a few times. So, I've been forcing him to let me hold him and carry him around. Trying to do it at least once a day. He HATES it lol. I'm hoping at the very least he'll stop coming at me lol. The video is him crowing.

IMG_20210914_171313571~2.jpg
IMG_20210913_092545489_HDR.jpg

14 Weeks???? Or did you mean 14 months? I can't see how a cockerel could be that well developed and apparently fully mature at 3-1/2 months of age. I think you're doing a good thing by forcing him to acknowledge you as the BOSS. Deal with his behavior immediately when it happens, and make sure he knows his place. His behavior sounds normal for a rooster, although unfortunate that he's turned out to be the aggressive type. I don't think this can be trained out of him. But it's possible that the more you handle him and REFUSE to allow him to charge you, the more he'll behave. I wouldn't let any small children around him when he's loose, though.

14 Weeks???? Or did you mean 14 months? I can't see how a cockerel could be that well developed and apparently fully mature at 3-1/2 months of age. I think you're doing a good thing by forcing him to acknowledge you as the BOSS. Deal with his behavior immediately when it happens, and make sure he knows his place. His behavior sounds normal for a rooster, although unfortunate that he's turned out to be the aggressive type. I don't think this can be trained out of him. But it's possible that the more you handle him and REFUSE to allow him to charge you, the more he'll behave. I wouldn't let any small children around him when he's loose, though.
Yes he was hatched about May 11 at my school.

Cockerels tend to mature faster.
That's true, and I admit I haven't had experience with raising many different breeds --- just RIR, BPR, Cornish X, and Black Australorps, over the last 7 years. Currently I have a variety of mixed mutt chicks ranging from 3 -18 weeks. Last week I culled two 17-week old boys and one at 14-weeks - and none of these, nor any I've culled in the years previous, were anywhere near as mature as Love-My-Chickie's Honey. Mine had tail feathers just starting to extend and arch. Saddle feathers beginning to show. Comb, wattles, and mantle feathers fairly well developed. Thick legs, no spurs yet. Just past the croaky/squeaky crowing stage. The roosters I've raised don't look like hers until about 24-30 weeks. I must be doing something wrong, or the breeds are quite different ! :hmm

That's true, and I admit I haven't had experience with raising many different breeds --- just RIR, BPR, Cornish X, and Black Australorps, over the last 7 years. Currently I have a variety of mixed mutt chicks ranging from 3 -18 weeks. Last week I culled two 17-week old boys and one at 14-weeks - and none of these, nor any I've culled in the years previous, were anywhere near as mature as Love-My-Chickie's Honey. Mine had tail feathers just starting to extend and arch. Saddle feathers beginning to show. Comb, wattles, and mantle feathers fairly well developed. Thick legs, no spurs yet. Just past the croaky/squeaky crowing stage. The roosters I've raised don't look like hers until about 24-30 weeks. I must be doing something wrong, or the breeds are quite different ! :hmm
Honey is a barnyard mix from a local place, Seabreeze Hens, in San Leon, TX. My school gets our eggs there for hatching with our classes each year.

Back
Top Bottom