1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Honey

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bantamlover23, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Bantamlover23

Bantamlover23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Chuluota, FL
    I found a place in my area I can get fresh local honey. I have not really used honey often could you give me ideas other than using it on breads.

2. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Honey lasts a LONG time...like forever. I have a friend who a is a beekeeper, and each year I get a couple quarts from him.

I use it for cooking a lot - honey chicken, honey salmon, glazes etc. It's delicious!

3. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Use it as sweetner. Hot tea and honey with lemon is great for sore throats.

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I heard a spoonful is good for nagging coughs. I would love to get the honey in the honeycomb.Some use it in baking or tea.Good on some hot cereals too.

5. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:x2!

Also very good with green tea, hot milk and honey is a nice treat. DD likes it at bedtime--makes you sleepy! You can use it in baking although I forget the conversion thing from sugar to honey. SOmeone help me out here!

Mix it with butter to make honey butter, put it on pancakes, biscuits, ice cream, fruit, homemade cheese, mix with yogurt, there's lots of options

6. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Quote:x2!

Also very good with green tea, hot milk and honey is a nice treat. DD likes it at bedtime--makes you sleepy! You can use it in baking although I forget the conversion thing from sugar to honey. SOmeone help me out here!

Mix it with butter to make honey butter, put it on pancakes, biscuits, ice cream, fruit, homemade cheese, mix with yogurt, there's lots of options

Here's a helpful link.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2110342_substitute-honey-sugar-recipe.html

Honey is sweeter, so I find I use smaller amounts in my tea.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Topping for ice cream and breakfast cereals (hot and cold).

1 person likes this.
  8. Bantamlover23

Bantamlover23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Chuluota, FL
    thank you guys. This is really helpful. I am also excited because i have heard honey is good for allergies and I have awful allergies.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've heard that local honey is good for allergies, too. I use it in peppermint tea when I need my stomach settled or I'm coughing. Sometimes, I use it to substitute for some of the sugar in cookies.

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Honey is a great flavoring for cooking, especially when paired with vinegar. A couple of examples.

Beets - Take beets that have been cooked just long enough to skin. Skin them and cut them in bite-sized chunks or slices. Cook them covered about 10 minutes of so in apple, apricot, peach, orange or whatever juice. Add vinegar and honey and cook uncovered another 10 minutes. You might need to stir to keep them form sticking though I usually have enough liquid that is not a big problem. Serve. Depending in how many beets I cook, the proportions are 1 cup of juice, 3 tablespoons of vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar) and 2 tablespoons of honey. Vary cooking times according to how well the beets are cooked when you skin them, which depends on size. Once the beets are cooked, you cna reduce this to create a nice sauce to pour over the beets.

Greens (Chard, kale, beet greens, spinach whatever) - Boil the greens until they are done. Meanwhile brown or soften (depending on your tastes) onion and garlic in a little oil. When the greens are cooked, put them in with the onions and garlic a bit at a time to keep them from clumping and stir. (I also add paprika at this time.) Once they are sort of dried out, stir in vinegar and honey, salt and pepper to taste.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by