Hoop Coop Tractor Question

happyhens

Songster
12 Years
Jan 30, 2007
KY
I am starting a hoop coop tractor today. It is going to be used for our 50 meat chicks that arrived yesterday morning
big_smile.png
. They are already stinking the house up, so I want this done soon and get them outta my basement! Anyway, I was looking at these plans- http://www.plamondon.com/hoop-coop.html . I know that the idea of a tractor is so the chickens can eat grass and bugs, but I am worried about it not having any type of floor or other protection against predators digging under. Any suggestions? Is this even a potential problem? Thanks!

Only you know your area and what potential predator problems there may be. I built a similar Hoop tractor, and another Hoop tractor made from PVC pipe and chicken wire. I have coyotes, foxes, skunks, and coons. The PVC tractor can be accessed by anything, the Cattle panel tractor would take a digger. As added security I tether the dog between the two tractors and haven't had any problems (other than a barking dog).

Quote:
That's a great idea! Thanks. I have also been considering putting a wire floor on it, but one with large holes so they can still dig in the dirt for bugs and grass. Would that work? It probably wouldn't do a very good job at keeping small diggers out though
hmm.png
And in my area, we have pretty much every type of predator found in the United States lol.

Back
Top Bottom