Hoop house / green house / winter chicken house permaculture

anniemary

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
I've been searching the net for housing chickens with a green house for permaculture purposes. It's been difficult finding a model.

I want to get up to at least 100-150 birds, so I need a very large house.

My idea is to have a large hoop house/green house. I live on the MN/WI border and we have extremely cold winters. I'd let the chickens live in the hoop/green house through winter.

In early spring when the weather gets a little warmer, but there's still snow on the ground, I'd move the chickens to a sectioned off area of the greenhouse so I can start my seedlings.

When the snow melts and it's even warmer, I'd move the chickens to their summer house on the pasture. The green house seedlings would be planted in my garden. I'd roll up the sides of the green house so the entire area is exposed, then I'd plant my corn in and around the green house.

I realize I have to figure out some things:

1. Dust/dander control
2. Humidity control

What is the proper humidity for chickens?

Joel Salatin puts his chickens in a hoop house for winter and then talks about planting seedlings in the chips.

I wonder what I would need for the floor?

Thoughts?

There may be a concern about chickens in an enclosed structure, considering how much moisture they generate along with the ammonia from the poop. Ventilation will be important. It may cost a fortune to heat such a ventilated building.

Of course this is permaculture, so you are using a rocket mass stove heater? :)

Sand for the floor.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom