Hoop house roosts? Nest boxes?

taylynnp

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 22, 2013
Middle Tennessee
I need ideas on how to build and attach roosts in my hoop house. What do you use for nest boxes? I would Iove to see pics if you have them. Thanks!

Last edited:
I used 5 gallon buckets in my house. Would you attach them to a end wall?

I drilled all the buckets at the bottom and made a Key Hole shape hole... so that they will hang on two screw heads.. All you need is a board at the back to attach to. Or you could use different methods of attachment or mounting...

When the hen in the top bucket went broody, i removed her bucket from the main hen house and moved her to a pen to hatch. All I had to do was pick it up off the screws and put it in the cage.

I used 5 gallon buckets in my house. Would you attach them to a end wall?

I drilled all the buckets at the bottom and made a Key Hole shape hole... so that they will hang on two screw heads.. All you need is a board at the back to attach to. Or you could use different methods of attachment or mounting...

When the hen in the top bucket went broody, i removed her bucket from the main hen house and moved her to a pen to hatch. All I had to do was pick it up off the screws and put it in the cage.

Thanks. I've been thinking of doing something portable involving a plastic tub so I could move a broody. The bucket would make that easy. Do large fowl fit comfortably, especially with chicks?

Excellent idea to drill a key hole in the back to hang the bucket on a board. Since the hoop house doesn't have solid walls, it makes additional construction interesting.
But that would definitely work!

Thanks. I've been thinking of doing something portable involving a plastic tub so I could move a broody. The bucket would make that easy. Do large fowl fit comfortably, especially with chicks?

Excellent idea to drill a key hole in the back to hang the bucket on a board. Since the hoop house doesn't have solid walls, it makes additional construction interesting.
But that would definitely work!
Mine are mounted in a black frame of plywood that was and old projection tv box from a bar.. you could either put a strip of wood the width of the bucket bottom on a wall or the end of the hoop.. trying to picture in the mind.. is it moveable?

Mine are mounted in a black frame of plywood that was and old projection tv box from a bar.. you could either put a strip of wood the width of the bucket bottom on a wall or the end of the hoop.. trying to picture in the mind.. is it moveable?

We built ours pretty heavy so the hoop house isn't really movable. We just relocated it this week and it took pulling it with the Jeep. Ha!

There is a 2X4 that runs horizontal across the back wall to give it more strength. I think we could attach a board or the nest buckets to that. I think they would need a perch to get into the bucket like your framework unless I kept them on the ground. We only need 3-4 nests.

I need to get some roosts attached long ways in the hoop house. I have a post sitting on two concrete blocks for them now but they don't sleep on it yet even at 18 weeks. They all huddle together still. Maybe if I get the roost higher it will be more attractive and then work on putting them on the roost at dark.

I need them to roost ASAP so I can get nest boxes in there. Otherwise they'll probably try to huddle in the nest boxes.

Keep the roost higher than the boxes.. With the perches I just screwed some 2x4's to the back boards on the far ends, so that the 1x3 acts like a front stop for the bucket.

My hubby built a hoop house and nest box this afternoon.

I was googling roost ideas...I have these 8 foot wooden curtain rods that might work perfect on an a frame type stand?

I need ideas on how to build and attach roosts in my hoop house. What do you use for nest boxes? I would Iove to see pics if you have them. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom