HOOSIERS Only - INDIANA - Ru1?

I am Cat from Bristow in Southern tip of Indiana. I have buff Orpingtons, and gold lace Wyandottes that have free run of our yard and the landlords yard. I have five Banties - a Silkie, a Polish and Three Silkie mixes - that have a fenced in area behind the trailer. I live with my hubby, Zoomer, and a dog and two indoor cats. We are hoping to find our own land in Crawford county and build a straw bale house and live off grid, living off the land.

I am looking for three or four White Silkie hens, if anyone near me might have some they would be willing to part with. Just let me know how much and where you are.

I live in Jeffersonville across the Ohio from Louisville. I am a CPA and manage a large Cardiology practice. But really, I am a frustrated farmer wanna be.

We live in a subdivision, but are looking at several properties in Floyd Co. My hubby is Ava (or is it Zsa Zsa?) and I am Eddie Albert, so we are trying to compromise on country vs city.

I have two great kids, a son 11 and a daughter 9, and 3 furry rescue kids-2 bassett hounds and 1 st bernard mix.

I want more chickens- maybe someone close will have some that I can buy once I get moved?

wink.png

NOTE:
There's a list of Indiana members at the post Indiana Chicken People (list). If you're not on it, go to:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=122824

NOTE:
Indiana
members et al., if you haven't listed your CITY/TOWN, STATE under your NAME yet, please go to (click) Profile (on the dark-blue line above) and then to the list on the left hand side titled Profile Menu. Going there and choosing the second item on the list, PERSONAL, you can type in the name of the city or town, Indiana where you live.
PROFILE...> PROFILE MENU...> PERSONAL

Well I am actually an older member on here. I got my new smart phone and it wouldn't let me access the site untill I created a new acount. My old name was Barbk.
I live in Noble county close to the Whitley county line and Columbia City on a small 10 acre farm. We currently have 13 Lt. Brahmas, 1 black Sex Link, 1 BO cross, 1 horse, 5 goats, 20 rabbits and a couple dogs and cats.
I am looking to replace my flock with some LF Faverolles and a couple çornish hens when I can find breeders.

OK, Hoosier chicken farmers, the big question is: heat or no heat?!

I'm worried today with my girls out in -20, even with the 100 watt heater on the coop interior is below 20.

Logic requires me to state that the girls themselves are happily running around in the sunshine and seem to have NO problems being cold, but my emotional side is in a panic! Logic also requires me to state that I grew up in Phoenix, so to me anything below 70* requires fleece clothing
wink.png
- I've only been in the Midwest a few years!

How are my fellow Hoosiers dealing with the cold?

Quote:
libertychicken, shat breed(s) do you have? I have bbs Orpingtons just 13 miles south of Indianapolis. They hate the snow and won't leave the run, but the cold doesn't bother them. Even when it's 9* out, I don't even bother closing the pop doors. That would not be good for some breeds though. If it goes below zero, I'll close the pop doors, but no matter what, I won't add heat to the coop; they don't need it because they're well insulated and they roost of the 4-inch side of the 2x4, so they're able to sit on their feet to keep their toes warm.

I have one Buff Orp and 3 EE's. Though they can come and go as they please during the day, they don't hang out in the coop, they're out in the air all day long. I lock them at night inside a secure run AND the coop - and close the pop door, since I have ventilation at the corners. They roost on a flat 2x4 in there.

Do you all use Vaseline on the combs?

Back
Top Bottom