HOOSIERS Only - INDIANA - Ru1?

A recent issue of Backyard Poultry had articles on winterizing. The consensus there was that chickens should not be shut in without outside ventilation in winter. The closed in coops trap moisture, which leads to molds and respiratory infections. Mine are all in buildings with an open (wired) side or in individual coops with wire fronts. Everyone does fine with the exception of an occasional frostbitten comb when I forget the vaseline. I do make sure that there are at least two birds to a coop so that they can snuggle.

Thank y'all very much! We plan on having four hens, so they will be able to snuggle together. I appreciate your input and can't wait to post again when we have our new "family".

salfay, Hello and welcome to BYC! The coop you are building is adorable! We did decide to insulate our coop but we leave the pop door open all winter. We do wrap the fenced enclosure with clear pvc tarp to keep out the severe winds and snow.

Looks liek the weather will be decent MOnday. Is anyone going to the auction i n LOwell? Is it indoors our outdoors?

Looks liek the weather will be decent MOnday. Is anyone going to the auction i n LOwell? Is it indoors our outdoors?

where at in lowell and the time? I have never been but I want to go to try and find some cochin pullets and a couple silkie hens or pullets. PQ or better is fine with me as they look good and so cute in the yard. I can't find anyone north of indy who has any or hatching eggs of these breeds.Anyone north of indy with any of these for sale?eggs,chicks or older? send me a pm if you do. thanks oh, I am by logansport. hehe forgot to mention that.

where at in lowell and the time? I have never been but I want to go to try and find some cochin pullets and a couple silkie hens or pullets. PQ or better is fine with me as they look good and so cute in the yard. I can't find anyone  north of indy who has any or hatching eggs of these breeds.Anyone north of indy with any of these for sale?eggs,chicks or older? send me a pm if you do. thanks oh, I am by logansport. hehe forgot to mention that.

Hello. I'm near Logansport too. Actually a little ways north (southern Pulaski county) but we're in Logansport almost every single day (lots of kids' activities there).

Hello. I'm near Logansport too. Actually a little ways north (southern Pulaski county) but we're in Logansport almost every single day (lots of kids' activities there).

My daughter goes to lewis cass and I understand the activity part, seems non stop at times. One ting ends and another begins. She is on swim team right now then track right after plus 4H just started. Now gas prices jumped today from 365 gallon to 389 gallon within 2 hours. I carpool with 3 other ladies for the swim team so it's easier on us all. Oh I live close to logan outside of town toward peru. Nice to meet you gale!

Now gas prices jumped today from 365 gallon to 389 gallon within 2 hours.

No kidding-that just about made me sick. We went to Kokomo this afternoon to the movies. On the way there, it was $3.65 in Walton/Galveston and on the way back, $3.89. WTH? I did a double take. It was even that high in Kokomo but I saw it so quickly I thought maybe it was a diesel price. My kids are homeschooled so I like them to be in all the activities. I just hate toting them all around. DD is not in 4H but does riding lessons weekly. Other DD is in dance and DS does Karate 3 times a week. That doesn't count speech and pokemon league in Winamac once a week. I get tired of it but I carry on.

Nice to meet you too. We live in such a rural area it seems like I rarely see other people from around here online.

Oh, I forgot to go check this thread. The auction in Lowell is jsut off route 41 on rt 2 east. It is outdoors and it was freezing cold. Started at 10: 30, over by 11. I wound up with 3 guinea things (2 girls and a boy, I think) and a huge speckeld hen who is missing a toe. Birds are all stuffed into whatever container people can put them in, and it is hard to figure out who owns what to ask questions.

Now in unrelated news, does anybody have any amaracuna pullet chicks for sale?

I'm not sure where you are, but TSC's and feed stores frequently have that breed (unless you're looking for locally raised only). I just placed an order for 2 Araucana pullets at our feed store in Valparaiso. They'll arrive the first week in May. :)

Back
Top Bottom