Hoover’s Mystic Onyx

Pics
Freedom ranger hatchery sells Rustic rambler which is a barred rock hen crossed with a black copper Maran rooster. The southern rustic rambler or rustic rambler southern rambler..those birds have red cone and waddles orange eye color. The birds tractor supply is selling r all black black eyes and cones with black legs 5 toes r Mystic Onyx. Tractor supply doesn't know the breed of bird they r selling. I think hoover hatchery is the only large hatchery in the states hatching this breed atm
If they came from tsc, they're mystic onyx because they get birds from Hoover's.

Here is one I got from tractor supply this spring. She has black skin and extra toes like a silkie. But is huge, she is the size of my EE rooster! This picture doesn't do her justice. She is a stunning bird! She was marked as a southern rambler. View attachment 2438574
I just purchased 4 Rustic Ramblers tonight from TSC. They all have 5 toes and are solid black. I sure hope they turn out as beautiful as your hen. Wish there was more info on how to tell what sex they are.

Attachments

• 20210403_223007.jpg
    20210403_223007.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 48
So from what I’ve read, tentatively males might have some red shades in the black, and tentatively females are all solid black, so maybe ...?

As an aside, well a complaint/whining - my local TSCs appear not to be using Hoover’s at all this year and have not been having much variety other than common breeds (leghorn, RIR, BR, EE). Hoover’s direct had a 5 chick minimum each breed, but now I see on their website it’s 20 chick minimum of each breed?? Seems somewhat out of reach for small flock owners. All I want is one ... boohoo. I guess it’s a good thing really, because I do NOT NEED MORE CHICKENS.

I just purchased 4 Rustic Ramblers tonight from TSC. They all have 5 toes and are solid black. I sure hope they turn out as beautiful as your hen. Wish there was more info on how to tell what sex they are.
Rustic Ramblers and Hoover’s Mystic Onyx are not the same thing. Ramblers supposed to be a Marans mix and Mystic Onyx a Silkie mix.

I am wondering of the Tractor Supply has them labeled wrong?

Rustic Ramblers and Hoover’s Mystic Onyx are not the same thing. Ramblers supposed to be a Marans mix and Mystic Onyx a Silkie mix.

I am wondering of the Tractor Supply has them labeled wrong?
They were actually in the back not out on the floor yet. They only had 3 week old buffs out I'm assuming trying to get rid of 1st. When i asked the manager when they were getting in more chicks she told me she had 3 day old chicks in the back and they were rustic ramblers. They were the same size as my chicks from rural king so I figured 4 more wouldn't hurt :). When i got home last night and started looking at pics they looked nothing like the chicks she sold me. Looks like several people have done the same thing. I'm very excited to see how they turn out.

Think I ended up with one of these....happens to be my favorite. Clean legs, 5 toes, black tongue, black legs, single comb. A quick grower...was much bigger than the other babies, but now at 10 weeks is about the same size as the others.
And hi! This is my first post 😊

Edited to add a pic

Attachments

• 20210403_153517.jpg
    20210403_153517.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Hello, welcome!

pretty girl!

I think I read they were originally bred to be a specialty meat or dual purpose bird? So that kinda makes sense about the fast growth.

The chickie looks black-skinned so labeled wrong perhaps?
So I went back to TSC tonight and spoke to the manager. He said they label them with whats listed on the shipping box (Rustic Ramblers). He confirmed they came from Hoovers. All are solid black with 5 toes.

Back
Top Bottom