Hoover review

LCfarms

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 19, 2013
So I figured I would add my thoughts on Hoover Hatchery. I ordered 25 austrolorp pullets last friday. My chicks were shipped wednesday and were at my post office thursday afternoon. None were dead and in fact I have 27. Being that they were ordered so late in the year when everybody else is about sold out the chicks are all in good health. The only one I have concerns about is one that possibly is either missing an eye or its deformed. There doesnt appear to be any discharge coming from it yet and otherwise she is eating well and is perky. This is day two with my new arrivals so I will keep everyone posted on their progress but so far I am very impressed with Hoover.

I am also interested in getting a flock of Austrolorp's. Are the ones you have the Black ones ? I am new at this , and I'm not aware of any other colors. Would you have a link to Hoover Hatchery ? Have you done business with them before ? Have you raised this breed before ? Sorry about all the questions . Any info about this breed or Hatchery would be greatly appreciated.

To my knowledge australorps do only come in black. This is my first time with this breed and this hatchery, but most people in my area have australorps so I'm familier with their characteristics. So far what I've noticed about the australorps compared to my other breeds is that they are very quick maturing. They are also very docile as chicks. My barred rocks were extremely aggressive chicks and my two leghorns did everything in their power to get away from me, but these guys are a happy medium of the two. I have two or three that can be little stinkers that try and beat my hand up but they are not as hard as my barred rocks. Though this is my first time using Hoover I am very impressed with their quality of their birds, their prices, and their customer service. I would definetly use this hatchery again. Here is the link to their site:http://www.hoovershatchery.com/

Thank you so much for the quick response. Please keep us up to date on how the Australorps are coming along. I did request a catalog from Hoover Hatchery, and appreciate the link.
From what I have seen in thier online store , they have very affordable pricing. Looks like I have found a Hatckery that I will do business with :)

Australorps only come in black in the U.S that are recognized by APA. Some other countries like Australia and England, they accept blue and black Australorps to my knowledge. But it is possible to get blues in the U.S if you know the right guy.

So just an update on my australorp pullets. I've lost 10 of the original 27 I think due to a coccidiosis outbreak. Before I could relize that I had an issue I had 5 dead chicks on my hands. I gave them probiotics and electrolytes for 2 days and that cleared just about everyone else up. Otherwise they have all been in the outdoor coop with the hens in their own little pen for about 3 or 4 weeks now. They have lights in there, but the coop temp has gotten down in the 30s so they are proving to be very hardy birds. They have handled confinement and over crowding as well as extremen cold, all without any medication outside of a cocciodis vaccine when they were day olds. They all are maturing at a very fast rate. They are about 10 weeks old now and one of my pullers is already getting her wattles and earlobes, and her comb is getting quite large and red. All of them are very large boned and meaty even as chicks. They are proving to be very good dual purpose prospects. I'm very excited to see what their finishing weights and phenotype with be, as well as their egg production and egg maturity. I plan on getting some wyandotte cockerals in the spring and choose a rooster for my girls from that group. I plan on putting the cockerals under the same stress as the pullets. That way when I go to raise chicks from this cross I can expect them to be just as hardy as their parents.

I am also interested in getting a flock of Austrolorp's. Are the ones you have the Black ones ? I am new at this , and I'm not aware of any other colors. Would you have a link to Hoover Hatchery ? Have you done business with them before ? Have you raised this breed before ? Sorry about all the questions . Any info about this breed or Hatchery would be greatly appreciated.
, I have 3 black australorps in my flock and i love them! They lay lots of Brown eggs and are gentle. I just ordered chicks for the first time from Hoover's hatchery yesterday so I will post again once they arrive and tell the death rate if any. The website: hoovershatchery.com

Back
Top Bottom