Hoover's -- crossing my fingers

I’m going to post a thread later if my chick survives but I just wanted to share this now to see if it helps your chicks.
In the past I’ve tried probiotics, nutri-drench, ACV, brown sugar/water, molasses/water, electrolytes but I’ve never saved a chick that arrived sick. Friday I bought a batch of EE chicks and one went down hill quickly and died. I had a second that became lethargic and wouldn’t eat, drink or open it’s eyes.
This time I started feeding the sick chick the liquid off my fermented feed and she perked up. I then started giving her very wet FF. Now she is getting mash made from the feed and the liquid from my FF. She is steadily improving but not out of the woods yet.

Could be nothing to it but it seems to be working for this chick.

Lost my baby salmon favorelle. I was hopeful but saw this morning barely breathing and was gone an hr later. She was quite a bit smaller than the others even on arrival but I thought she just needed heat and some water. I’m glad they did me an extra chick but I only three favorelles left. I will order more in the spring I love how sweet they are.

Sorry to here that. Same with mine. I had gotten my hopes up with this one. I’m starting to think that I should just let Mother Nature take it’s course when it comes to chicks. It’s probably a good idea anyway to let the strongest survive.

Well!

I just picked up my replacement shipment, and it’s a much nicer surprise this time. All the chicks are popping around like popcorn — the postal worker was laughing because they were trying to escape from the box as she carried it to me.

On the somewhat down side, I also got my shipment of ducklings from Metzer farms this morning, and two of the baby Cayugas were dead. So they are sending me two replacements of those, plus two additional I bought to go with them (ducks really need groups larger than two!), which means I’ll have yet ANOTHER batch of baby birds to raise — sigh!

But at least all these chicks look great. Somehow the two Ameraucana/EE chicks are especially adorable this time around — extra fluffy!

I ordered from Hoover this year, first time having chickens. All arrived happy and healthy had 2 with pasty butt, checked and cleaned them every day until it cleared up. I did have them vaccinated and I did add electrolytes with probiotics to their drinking water and also used medicated feed. I ordered 45 in all gave some away to my Aunt when they were about a month old. So now I have 33. All survived and are healthy so far. Look at my Media on my Profile Page and you can see some of them at 4 months.

I ended up losing only 1 chick out of... umm... 32, I think... from Hoover's, not counting the losses from the first shipment that they replaced. All the rest are doing great. I don't know about quality yet -- will hold off on that judgment til they're mature -- but all in all I'm happy with the experience so far.

Also, I lost my freakin' mind last week when Ideal had a **$1.95** sale on breeds including barnevelders, marans, and welsummers -- sexed! Ended up buying 24 more chicks!

I have a t-shirt that says "I was normal a dozen chickens ago." All too true!

I ended up losing only 1 chick out of... umm... 32, I think... from Hoover's, not counting the losses from the first shipment that they replaced. All the rest are doing great. I don't know about quality yet -- will hold off on that judgment til they're mature -- but all in all I'm happy with the experience so far.

Also, I lost my freakin' mind last week when Ideal had a **$1.95** sale on breeds including barnevelders, marans, and welsummers -- sexed! Ended up buying 24 more chicks!

I have a t-shirt that says "I was normal a dozen chickens ago." All too true!
The Post Office in my town closes at 10 am so I have to pick my chicks up some place else. Now that I have chickens I plan on ordering English Orpington Hatching eggs in the future. I don't care too much about show quality birds, they are my pets and for eggs. Here are a few pictures of my birds from Hoover. The Lavender orpington is 4 1/2 months old in the photo with me, the pictures with just the birds are when they were 4 months old. These are my cockerels, the black is a Black Jersey Giant.
lome.jpg

Attachments

• LO4months.jpg
    LO4months.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • BandBO4months.jpg
    BandBO4months.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • JG4months.jpg
    JG4months.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • MMM4months.jpg