Hope this passes...

Sorry that your chicken died. New members do not always know to start new threads of their own, but being kind instead of calling their question “ridiculous” is not going to win fans. I believe when you asked them not to hijack your thread, they got the message. Most of us here try to suggest possibilities, and things that may help. We don’t stay online constantly, and may suggest different things and treatments. We have all lost young birds to mysterious illnesses, but getting the necropsy may help tell you what was wrong. I would try to find another vet in your area that will do fecal floats for less. Mine has started charging $48 which is a lot higher that it used to be. Some folks learn to do their own with a microscope. Since you had a coccidiosis outbreak before, there could be a chance that he had poor immunity and maybe got it again. There are some Corid resistance with coccidiosis, and sulfa antibiotics can be used. I hope that you get some answers about your cockerel with the necropsy.

Sorry that your chicken died. New members do not always know to start new threads of their own, but being kind instead of calling their question “ridiculous” is not going to win fans. I believe when you asked them not to hijack your thread, they got the message. Most of us here try to suggest possibilities, and things that may help. We don’t stay online constantly, and may suggest different things and treatments. We have all lost young birds to mysterious illnesses, but getting the necropsy may help tell you what was wrong. I would try to find another vet in your area that will do fecal floats for less. Mine has started charging $48 which is a lot higher that it used to be. Some folks learn to do their own with a microscope. Since you had a coccidiosis outbreak before, there could be a chance that he had poor immunity and maybe got it again. There are some Corid resistance with coccidiosis, and sulfa antibiotics can be used. I hope that you get some answers about your cockerel with the necropsy.
I've long gone past the age of trying to win "fans". Seems people respond quicker to a negative thing I post than an inquiry for help. I get folks are not online all day, but the randomness of how some med posts get 30 answers within an hour and others go days unanswered naturally leads to frustration, especially when someone is watching their bird die before their eyes, which also makes thread hijackers seem that much more of an annoyance, especially as forums have stickies to read before posting. Now, all that out if the way, my state is not exactly a big time livestock state. Many vets here don't touch "exotic" animals, as I guess chickens are somehow in that category, so sadly much here involving them is pricey and rather slow timewise. Fortunately, our temps here will aid in preservation until I hear back from the state lab that does the necropsies. Even if I had a microscope, I sadly would have little idea at what I'm looking for concerning most of the major deadly illnesses, thus I must unfortunately rely on outside facilities.

I guess it does help to know though that I am not alone in mysteriously losing birds. When you put so much time, effort, money, and love into something, and when medical issues seem to increase in difficulty with each prior successful treatment, it can get extremely frustrating. When you find yourself worrying about which bird will now be next rather than enjoying the experience these wonderful animals provide, reaching that point plain sucks.

I'm looking into a necropsy, the state lab is closed for the weekend so it may take time to arrange. I know most folks are not vets, however many have been doing this longer than I and I was hoping for some insight as to how I could stabilize and look for clues that I initially would not know to look for. Sadly, the majority of posts on this thread are mine, and I was giving updates hoping someone could chime in with additional info on what the odd poop color/consistency, lack of physical sign, bouts of alert lethargy, etc. may help indicate. I am aware of diseases like avain flu, Marek's, etc., and was hoping for some kind of clarification based on what I had indicated, but alas that wasn't quite the case. That and the ridiculous question from the thread hijacker when I'm trying to save my cockerel really irked me.
I’m new to chickens so fortunately haven’t lost one. You must feel terrible about losing your boy. I’m so sorry.

I’m new to chickens so fortunately haven’t lost one. You must feel terrible about losing your boy. I’m so sorry.
That is one thing about getting into chickens you never know about, or anyone tells yoh about, until you experience it firsthand...a loss to the flock. Thank you, I pray it's something you don't find out about for many years to come, but prep yourself nonetheless on what diseases and ailments chickens can catch or develop and how symptoms are shown. There is a reason chickens are fun but alot of work.

What timing. I hope I don’t have to go through what you did but as of this afternoon I have my first sick chicken. My sweet Rhode Island Red Caroline. I found her standing alone in the yard puffed up obviously not feeling well. Too early to tell what’s next. I brought her in the house in a pen. She did eat bites of chicken And a scrambled egg. Her poop was normal. Morning she will be better or worse. I handled illness in my children much better than my pets. They could tell you what’s wrong etc.. My pets are family so I’m hoping this will pass.🤞

What timing. I hope I don’t have to go through what you did but as of this afternoon I have my first sick chicken. My sweet Rhode Island Red Caroline. I found her standing alone in the yard puffed up obviously not feeling well. Too early to tell what’s next. I brought her in the house in a pen. She did eat bites of chicken And a scrambled egg. Her poop was normal. Morning she will be better or worse. I handled illness in my children much better than my pets. They could tell you what’s wrong etc.. My pets are family so I’m hoping this will pass.🤞
How old? What color are her comb and wattles? How does her vent look?

How old? What color are her comb and wattles? How does her vent look?
She is six months old and vent and waddles look good normal. She’s acting much better however this morning she laid an egg with a rubbery Very Thin shell. Like a balloon all most. She’s perked up significantly ate( I crushed eggshells in her layer feed) drank and I actually about an hour ago put her back out to free range. At this point watching her she seems acting normal. I looked up the reasons for that egg.I couldn’t eliminate all of them as a possibility from normal to a new laying hand to illness and everything in between. She could’ve eaten something free ranging we have toxic plants in the woods or picked out phosphorus pebbles from under bushes that we fertilized with before we got chickens and knew better. Thanks for your inquiry and I’ll keep you posted. I think I’ll bring her in again tonight just so I can monitor her poops which were normal.I wouldn’t think passing that kind of an egg alone would make her feel so miserable as she looked. Today she looks I’d say normal, at least for now.

Attachments

• 40ED80D6-CCE9-46CA-A693-2D7780F82642.jpeg
    40ED80D6-CCE9-46CA-A693-2D7780F82642.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Well, the necropsy and cremation total $193. Already got back a preliminary report, lymphoma possibly due to Marek's, the news I had always dreaded. Now what?

Back
Top Bottom