Hope This Saves A Turkey From Blackhead

Pics
Oh... Forgot to say why I'm telling you this: Alazol was added to drinking water and turkeys left to self administer, since they go of food but continue to drink.

We are in france and It appears that they mixed the preparation specifically so the locals could use a 2.5ml coffee spoon for dosing. Metronidazole would therefore need one of our 5ml TEA spoons at the same concentration ;-)

You can also use Safegaurd or Panacur paste, it's the same, Fenbendazole 10%.

1ml of the paste weighs 1 gram and 1 gram of paste has 100mg of medicine, just like 1ml of the liquid does. Make sense?

We just recently had a very sick Rooster. So I took him to the vet to get him taken care of so the Turkeys did not also get sick.

The vet told us that if we ended up having to worm any of the chickens or the turkeys we MUST sign a waiver that no eggs will be consumed or sold for human consumption for one year. It takes that long for the wormer to get out of their systems.

We just recently had a very sick Rooster.  So I took him to the vet to get him taken care of so the Turkeys did not also get sick. 

The vet told us that if we ended up having to worm any of the chickens or the turkeys we MUST sign a waiver that no eggs will be consumed or sold for human consumption for one year.  It takes that long for the wormer to get out of their systems.  

Where do you live?

-Kathy

Where do you live?

-Kathy

I'm in Tennessee. The vet said that if you worm any chicken or Turkey you can not eat the bird or any eggs from it for one year.

It turns out that the rooster we had had a respiratory infection so we don't have to worry about worms and worming. I also took a 4H chicken clinic and it said similar things but he thought it was 18 months not 12.

i have dealt with blackhead for the past 6 years. i send any turkeys (and chickens) that i lose to the lab at ucdavis. two years losing a flock of poults at about 2-3 months i went another direction. i built new large runs, bought a few yards of 3/4 inch gravel so it is about 4-6" deep. the gravel is pretty cheap, just heavy! i use this pen till they are about 4 months old and healthy and i move them to pasture. it is hot and dry here in the pasture (no.california) till it starts raining.i started using pepper flakes mixed in feed. also, cut rosemary and throw branches in the pen. i had one of 14 die this year from blackhead but everything else is still alive and healthy. I have 8 more poults that seem healthy. last year i did not loose any. conditions are always subject to change at any time but this is working for my for now.i am going to start adding the vinegar to the water and continue any spices i can get in their daily diet. after the poults are about 4 months they go out to a pasture and the pens are empty till i hatch again in the spring. i raise royal palms and they seem to be a bit more delicate than the bourbon reds my daughter raises.

how often do you give turkeys cayenne pepper????? to get rid of blackhead?

i have dealt with blackhead for the past 6 years. i send any turkeys (and chickens) that i lose to the lab at ucdavis. two years losing a flock of poults at about 2-3 months i went another direction. i built new large runs, bought a few yards of 3/4 inch gravel so it is about 4-6" deep. the gravel is pretty cheap, just heavy! i use this pen till they are about 4 months old and healthy and i move them to pasture. it is hot and dry here in the pasture (no.california) till it starts raining.i started using pepper flakes mixed in feed. also, cut rosemary and throw branches in the pen. i had one of 14 die this year from blackhead but everything else is still alive and healthy. I have 8 more poults that seem healthy. last year i did not loose any. conditions are always subject to change at any time but this is working for my for now.i am going to start adding the vinegar to the water and continue any spices i can get in their daily diet. after the poults are about 4 months they go out to a pasture and the pens are empty till i hatch again in the spring. i raise royal palms and they seem to be a bit more delicate than the bourbon reds my daughter raises.

Welcome to BYC!
I manage blackhead by treating with metronidazole and fenbendazole as soon as I notice any symptoms.

-Kathy

Hi folks,
This is what I have learned from my dreadful experience with Blackhead. I would like to first like to tell you what I tried and it DIDNT work.

1. Apple cider vinegar ( not at all )

2. Regular worming regiment ( didnt prevent )

3. Cayenne pepper ( lost two turkeys trying this )

What I tried and saved my last turkey.

1. Oil of Oregano ( tried for three days and turkey started recovering )

2. Metronidazole ( just to make sure I kept it from coming back )

I would very much like to thank First State Veterinary Supply for the later advise. I wish I would have called him first before these other "crazy attempts "

Back
Top Bottom