Hope This Saves A Turkey From Blackhead

Pics
One can get metronidazole at Petsmart in the form of a powder called API General Cure, just check the ingredients on the back to make sure it has 250mg metronidazole and 75mg praziquantil. You won't need the praziquantil, but it won't hurt to give it. It looks like this:

Minimum effective dose is 30mg/kg once a day for five days.

-Kathy

I'm aware of the time stamp, thank you. The person may or may not have subscribed to the tread. Either way, there are plenty just like that poster.

Good information, Kathy. By the way, I used about 1/3 large jar in the water, which is probably how it reached kidney's/liver and not just the digestive tract with the grain. I also used it grain.

We're all entitled to our opinions, right? Cayenne worked for you, great, but it didn't work for someone else and I sure wouldn't rely on it. For me it's metronidazole, Baytril, Safeguard and tube feeding if needed, period. That will save close to 100% of them if caught soon enough.

-Kathy

Good information, Kathy. By the way, I used about 1/3 large jar in the water, which is probably how it reached kidney's/liver and not just the digestive tract with the grain. I also used it grain.
Glad it worked for you, but what about the person that has a bird that's *not* drinking?

-Kathy

I don't know about the person that has a bird not drinking. I didn't give advice on one that's not drinking. I only posted what worked for me. Yes, people are entitled to their opinions. I never said they weren't. There's no reason to be ill-mannered or mean spirited and call their suggestion or remedy a crazy idea because it did not work for them. :)

My point was that for *any* medication added to food and/or water to be effective, the sick bird must be eating and drinking, right? Most sick birds are not. Proper treatment of just blackhead is metronidazole at no less than 30mg/kg by mouth once a day for five days, worming with something that kills cecal worms, like Safeguard or Valbazen *and* supportive care. Add something like Baytril if there is a secondary bacterial infection.

-Kathy

yes I have used cayenne pepper seems weird but believe me it works try it round tablespoon in 20litre water u have to stir fair bit as u know peper doesn;t dissolve or put it in feed same rate really works thank goodnees

yes I have used cayenne pepper seems weird but believe me it works try it round tablespoon in 20litre water u have to stir fair bit as u know peper doesn;t dissolve or put it in feed same rate really works thank goodnees
Welcome to BYC!

No harm will come from giving it, but it's not likely that it will save a bird that has blackhead.

-Kathy

Thank you for your post. I am new to back yard anything... We bought chickens for the first time and what we thought were 5 Guinea hens, turns out one of the GH's is a turkey. We have fallen in love. He is so cute and friendly I would be just sick if something happened to him. So when you say liquid cayenne - do you just mix with water? Can you do this as a preventative? Thanks for any info.

Back
Top Bottom