Hopefully NOT another standard bumblefoot post

Thank you SO much for these photos. And I'm glad I'm not the only person with a Pekin allowed in the house at times :D.

So I should still be protecting her foot with the gauze earlier? Or keep soaking until I see that the plug falls out?

Good advice from @CoriM.

Your duck has Bumblefoot, but, only two are of concern as of now, and worth treating. General treatment for Bumblefoot consists of soaking the cores in warm Epsom salts for a few days to loosen the core up. Once you have a fairly loose core, try to gently peel it off with a pair of tweezers, using a scalpel if needed to help cut some of the tissue out. If the area starts to bleed, apply pressure until it clots, and continue on. Once you have the whole core out which is basically a bacteria-filled plug, coat the area with an antibacterial ointment or cream, apply gauze around the foot and bandage with vet wrap.

Keep the bandage on, replacing it every few days, until the whole area is healed or subsequent infection may occur. Bumblefoot often occurs because of a poor substrate in the birds living quarters such as pea gravel, mud, concrete, etc. Correct any environmental problems that may predispose them to developing Bumblefoot can be considered just as important as treatment,

I was typing you out a long answer but Isaac O said it perfectly. You can also review lots of past threads on this forum about bumblefoot. I think I've read pretty much most of them and it does help give you an idea. I agree, I would just worry about the two biggest ones. The others will benefit from the soaking, and if you slather a little antibiotic ointment on them as well, no harm done.

Isaac - Thank you so much for your response. I have a paver stone patio, and the ducks don't seem to care that it's there so if this is something I Need to block them from using, I did plan on eventually putting up a gate to prevent it. I might just have to accelerate that project.

Again, thank you both so much. I really appreciate it. And I'm sure Norbie will too!

1606057055936.png

Back
Top Bottom