Hopefully right DE

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by k625, Nov 2, 2007.

1. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Alrighty, I ordered the correct DE I hope directly from perma guard. I am going to dust the coop with it, but also want to put some in food. I have one of the gallon feeders, I guess is what it is. I wanted to know how much to put in the feed. I know everyone says 2% but I suck at math, I need to know tablespoons per gallon or something like that if you could please. Thanks so much everyone, hope this is the right stuff this time!!
  2. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    That's the right stuff!![​IMG]

2% of a 50 lb bag of feed would be 1 lb. I usually just mix in a cup here and a cup there as I'm pouring the feed from the bag into the rubbermaid bin i keep it in. It doesn't have to be scientificly perfect measurements...I hope. My girls are still very healthy with me just guesssing.[​IMG]
  3. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Well,...its says 2% by -weight- on that package. And I don't know how much a gallon of feed weighs. You'd have to weigh a gallon of feed and then multiply that weight by .02 to get the real ratio of feed to DE.

If you just went by volume, 1 gallon =128oz. and 2% of 128oz = 2.56oz/gallon.

(i think.....)
  4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    I can't get ahold of DE anywhere near me! I called Perma-Guard directly, and they referred me to a place that sells it in Michigan....about 3 hours away from me! I called that place, and they referred me to a guy who buys from them that's about an hour from me. I thought maybe I could "piggyback" an order on his the next time he ordered, but I called & left a voicemail for him a week ago, and he hasn't called back. I can't drive 3 hours away to pick some up, and I can't afford the shipping for a large bag. I'm so frustrated about not having DE that I could scream!:mad:
  5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I called the rep from custom milling in my area. I was told by custom milling the DE was PermaGuard. When it got here (200 lbs) it was not permaguard. I looked up the brand on the internet and they did not recommend the DE for animal use on their website. I sent it all back. So much for trying not to have shipping charges! [​IMG]

I trust only PermaGuard.
  6. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Thank you guys, especially for the math help.
    Wynette- I dont see why perma guard did that, when I called I just told them that I wanted a 5lb bad shipped to fl, and it was around $21 or so I think, maybe a little more. Just go to this site http://www.perma-guard.com/paypal_zone4.html You are in Michigan you said? That is zone 4 like me here in Fl, just call the number at the bottom, or you can order offline. That should work for ya!! [​IMG]
  7. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Quote:I agree, I just add what I feel is appropriate by the amount and what I am feeding them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by