Hoping I am doing the right thing, would like some advice. Please.

jjacks1

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2020
Before I got any chickens, I read several books and was fairly confident that as an ex-vet tech and someone with common sense, I could handle raising chickens.
My neighbor insisted on giving me 4 hens and since he is awesome and cut our hay for us, I put aside my dreams of Rhode Island Reds. Two days ago he brought my four girls over and I love them dearly, but they are not what I expected at all. I had never seen his chicken set-up and didn't realize that he raises his chickens in cages (spacious) and that they never go out unless he's cleaning the hen house. Also he never holds them and touches them much at all, so they are completely unused to people.
I have a fairly spacious coop with a fenced run inside another, larger fenced pen. My poor girls are completely freaked out. They don't know what perches are since all his chicken cages have flat bottoms. They are frightened of people. They've never been fed anything but scratch mix and they don't know what fruit is. I had thought that being outside with space to roam would be irresistible but they spend a majority of their time hiding inside the hen house.
I have been taking everything very slowly. I'll go out and sit by their run and talk to them. When I feed them or change their water and bedding, I go slowly and try to talk to them in what I hope is a soothing tone. But if I move too much, they get frightened. We are not even close to attempting to get them to take a treat out of my palm. In fact, hands scare them. Too much movement scares them.
I just want to know I'm not doing anything to traumatize them further. We have 20 acres out here and it is very quiet and peaceful. But it is summer and we are in the south (Kentucky) and it has been very warm. Their house and run is in the shade under several trees. We live on a hill so there is always a great breeze. But it has been hot and I'm worried they'll get heat stroke from hiding inside the hen house which does get warmer than the outdoors.
I'm sure everything will calm down once they get used to me and our routine. (I hope) Does anyone have advice about how to proceed? I know there must be people here who have rescued chickens or gotten some from the Humane Society who were traumatized. Never in my life did I expect to get chickens who were afraid of the outdoors. I can shut the door to the hen house and force them to stay outside but I'm not sure if this is even close to a good idea.
They're my girls, I love them and I want to do the best thing for them. Any suggestions?
Thank you.

Welcome to BYC! There are lots if very knowledgeable people here. We're all here to learn and share our experiences.
You are doing beautifully. Keep on doing what your doing.
Its been 2 days, give it time. They WILL settle down. New house new owner, new food. Everything's new, just like when we start a new job or experience. We're terrified at a new job, but we adapt and settle in. Same with chickens.
Let them get used to their new home, before long they will be happy as pigs in mud. Keep plenty of fresh water for them. Chickens are very smart and they'll figure it out.
Baby steps.

Time and treats.
It will take patience, but they will calm down.
They may not ever be lap chickens, but they will warm up to you.
I recommend you try raising baby chicks at some point. It's not too hard, and you will be able to start bonding with them early on, which guarantees lap chickens, if you choose the right breed.

I would go into their pen, shut the door and just sit there. Give them time to get used to you. Try and introduce them to different foods, and see which are their favourites. Use those favourites to help you.
I find mine love grapes. Although they rarely get those. An easier treat is oats.
Each chicken has different tastes, and it'll take a bit of time to get to know those.
You're doing a great job.
And welcome to BYC. We're delighted to have you.

Welcome to BYC! There are lots if very knowledgeable people here. We're all here to learn and share our experiences.
You are doing beautifully. Keep on doing what your doing.
Its been 2 days, give it time. They WILL settle down. New house new owner, new food. Everything's new, just like when we start a new job or experience. We're terrified at a new job, but we adapt and settle in. Same with chickens.
Let them get used to their new home, before long they will be happy as pigs in mud. Keep plenty of fresh water for them. Chickens are very smart and they'll figure it out.
Baby steps.
When feeding treat, remember they're still uncertain (scared), try tossing on ground, or in a bowl. They don't know your hand, and will why away from hand feeding, especially if a food is also new. Find something they like, mine love scratch(it's simply a rough birdseed) I actually use it in my birdfeeders also. Squirrels like it also, it's cheaper than birdseed-that's a plus.
Any how, throw some scratch, treat down, after you find something they like, then start trying to hand feed.
Baby steps.

Be patient! Spend time with them quietly. Theyll come around! But, it will take time!
What breed are they? Some breeds are just flighty.
So true! I have 5 I bought in Feb, as day olds, sweet, gentle friendly. In May I was gifted 2 3 month olds (same age as originals), different breed (game). Night and day difference.
The 2 I call my wildchilds, they are my favorites. Wild, flighty, independent. They had never been in a coop, eaten chicken feed or treats, had a waterer. They learned, I learned. Now, all 7 hang close together, sleep in coop, lay in coop. Wildchilds no longer sleep in trees, they still will not come for treats, scraps or anywhere close to me. They are coming in yard (and on porch) but if I rattle storm door to go out, poof their gone-they will fly 15-20 feet to fence. Baby steps. I never thought I would get them as comfortable as they are.

You are doing the right thing - keep doing it!
I raised my chicks from day 1 and they are 18 weeks. I have coffee with them in the a.m.- when they are still in their coop - and a cocktail with them in the late afternoon when they are out free ranging. This gives me an opportunity to bond with them and look for any weird things that may be going on. There are some in the flock that have always been trusting and friendly, and there are some that are getting more friendly and trusting. I still move SLOW otherwise they get flighty.
Bring them small treats - a handful of scratch, some meal-worms or some leftovers from your meal. Let them come to you to eat from your hands.
It will take some time - and how fun for you to watch them change!

Before I got any chickens, I read several books and was fairly confident that as an ex-vet tech and someone with common sense, I could handle raising chickens.
My neighbor insisted on giving me 4 hens and since he is awesome and cut our hay for us, I put aside my dreams of Rhode Island Reds. Two days ago he brought my four girls over and I love them dearly, but they are not what I expected at all. I had never seen his chicken set-up and didn't realize that he raises his chickens in cages (spacious) and that they never go out unless he's cleaning the hen house. Also he never holds them and touches them much at all, so they are completely unused to people.
I have a fairly spacious coop with a fenced run inside another, larger fenced pen. My poor girls are completely freaked out. They don't know what perches are since all his chicken cages have flat bottoms. They are frightened of people. They've never been fed anything but scratch mix and they don't know what fruit is. I had thought that being outside with space to roam would be irresistible but they spend a majority of their time hiding inside the hen house.
I have been taking everything very slowly. I'll go out and sit by their run and talk to them. When I feed them or change their water and bedding, I go slowly and try to talk to them in what I hope is a soothing tone. But if I move too much, they get frightened. We are not even close to attempting to get them to take a treat out of my palm. In fact, hands scare them. Too much movement scares them.
I just want to know I'm not doing anything to traumatize them further. We have 20 acres out here and it is very quiet and peaceful. But it is summer and we are in the south (Kentucky) and it has been very warm. Their house and run is in the shade under several trees. We live on a hill so there is always a great breeze. But it has been hot and I'm worried they'll get heat stroke from hiding inside the hen house which does get warmer than the outdoors.
I'm sure everything will calm down once they get used to me and our routine. (I hope) Does anyone have advice about how to proceed? I know there must be people here who have rescued chickens or gotten some from the Humane Society who were traumatized. Never in my life did I expect to get chickens who were afraid of the outdoors. I can shut the door to the hen house and force them to stay outside but I'm not sure if this is even close to a good idea.
They're my girls, I love them and I want to do the best thing for them. Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Well I really feel sorry for you and your little ladies. Poor hens. I am not here to judge anyone’s setup or reasons for doing what they do. People have kept chickens a lot like that for lots of reasons which I disagree with for many years. I am like you. I have a new flock. I am retired from people healthcare but have a great deal of veterinary know how from having vet friends and vet tech friends and dogs and other animals for 50 years. My Mom’s family owned a big farm and I got exposed early in life to all parts of it - the good and bad with the easy parts and the hard to go with. When my grandma could afford to keep chickens she kept her chicks in the house most of the time because the winters were so bad my cousins said most of the time in Pennsylvania in the mountains where they were from. They were way up and back in the sticks. So I know people treat animals differently than I do spoiling mine and my approach to chickens sounds like yours. I wanted to have them all my life but didn’t until my parents passed because if I would have my Mama would have had a cow. She has probably rolled over in her grave as it is. I know Jesus has probably heard about them plenty which I will have to pay for. Lol!
I did a great deal of research also. I live down South as well way away from Penn State in good ole Mississippi. The heat index right now at 8:00 a. m. In the shade of my run is 88 degrees. It’s going to be another barn burner. We may get a shower today at sundown. I hope my girls go in the coop prior. They have only been outside on their own at 12 weeks for exactly a week and roosting for six nights. They have done extremely well I think. You are going to have to take it very very slow with your girls but I think it can be done. I’m wondering if it would be possible to introduce some younger birds to them in order to bring them out of their shell and increase their comfort levels and build their trust. Treats will be your best tool and peace and quiet which you have. Completely secure areas that you are sure of. Make sure that no other pets like the family dog can come in and interrupt or interact with you and them during your time together and make them feel unsafe or uneasy or get to them in anyway. This way they will always be and feel 100% safe and never lose their trust in you. You might also do the Emu walk. Do you know what that is? Sort of bend down and make yourself look smaller and this will be less intimidating to them when you approach. May sound weird but may help. You never know. But always be slow and quiet. No rustling of bags like the wood shavings bag- mine are deathly afraid of that one dang bag and for the life of me I can’t figure out why that is so scary to them but they are. They go nuts when I open and start working with one of those bags oh and also a garbage bag. You might select one hen to single out and separate to work with along and maybe you could win her over by herself and focus on getting her broken and then let the others see that she trusts you and then let them follow the leader. That may work better. I hope these ideas help I know I have rambled some but I believe you can do it but it make my take some time. Good luck in the heat. It is so awful. I feel your pain that’s for sure. Keep us posted. I wish you the best.

I have found that the best way for me to "tame a wild" chicken is to spread a beach towel in the run and read a book. I ignore them and they come. Lol. Spread a little of their scratch or feed around you. It may take several days or even weeks to get them to trust you.
As far as getting them to explore the run, most chickens are scared of change. They take forever to adjust. Eventually they will began to explore.
Once they start exploring the run you can try the "beach towel method of making friends".
Good luck and happy chicken keeping.

Back
Top Bottom