Hoping this is a Plymouth Rock Pullet, opinions please!

I say pullet--wider black bars are an indication its a girl in Barred Rocks. Roos have even bars. She also has a decent gray wash on the front of her legs. I am thinking Barred Rock as they are one of the most common barred chickens (and my favorite!).
cancan.gif

Its best to have a few chickens as they need a flock so get going!
128fs318181.gif

Last edited:
Well it is a Barred Rock (looks to be about 4 weeks old) but I think its a roo. It's too young to be looking for pointed hackle or saddle feathers but the comb and wattles are way too red for a pullet at that age.

Glad you took it in! The little guy/gal wouldn't have lasted long roaming out the open by it's self.

Pullet. The barring is indicative of female, the males have narrower stripes. She's just healthy and happy, which is why the red comb. The comb and waddles would be way larger at this age already.

I currently have one BR pullet, at least by coloring and all my experience, which is considerable with BRs since they are my favorite breed. However, at four weeks old, there is red in the comb and wattles, leading me to think I could have inadvertently picked up a Delaware egg instead of Fern's egg. If I did, that would mean mine is a BR over Del cockerel. When you cross a BR rooster over anything, you get all barred chicks. When you cross anything over a BR hen, you get barred males (females are solid) with one barring gene, making them darker than the usual pure BR. We are in the same boat, Heather!
smile.png

BR pullets do not usually get any pink in the combs till around 10 weeks old, which is why this one, and mine, are confusing. Yes, it's pullet coloring, but that doesn't mean it is a pullet. BR sexing rules are about 90% accurate. This one could be the 10%.

I am new to chicken and by no means an expert but I do have 8 barred rocks (that I madly love!) and that looks like my girls. The darker coloring, and the dark line on the legs...it looks like a pullet.

Quote:
I don't think of myself as at all clueless & I have no idea what the upside down trick is.
BTW-your bird is a pullet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom