Horizontal nipple waterer

All of my birds will use the horizontal nipples. In my juvenile grow-out area I have a 55 gallon drum with the nipples at various heights around it. The birds teach themselves. I do have a pan of water out there so my ducks can clean their nostrils and bathe, but even they will use the nipples. I don't have to worry about anybody being without a drink.

0.jpg

All very nice! I have been eyeing them since we got our flock about a month ago. Got some on ebay and put 5 in a Leaktite manufactured transparent blue 3.5 gallon bucket. Will get it into use tomorrow first thing

oh my gosh yay! I got some of these and have duck & chick hatching eggs. I couldn't find info on ducks using them but was hoping they could... the messy water-ers gross me out. I'll have to give the ducks face-washing water, but at least drinking water can stay clean for everyone! glad the bills fit!! thanks for sharing!

I am planning on using these as well. Does anyone have any long term experience with these to know whether or not your chickens are getting enough water, especially in hot weather?

Also, how many nipples per bird? Thanks. :)

Yes they can get all the water they need even when its hot. What I really like is the fact that with the addition of a low wattage bird bath heater in the winter they can get all the water they need in the winter too. When I'm making a new bucket I drill my holes about 3-4 inches from the bottom so that when I add the heater in the winter the heat source is bellow the nipples. This makes the water around the nipple warm water This so far has kept the nipples from freezing. down to single digit temps.
I try to keep the bucket in the shade to keep the water cooler and use dark colored buckets that won't let sun light in to grow algae.

Great tip on the hieght from bottom of bucket Dan! I may have to make a "winter" waterer, because single digits and below 0 are part of the game here i western N.Y. state! But my birds are using the nipples well

Last edited:
The bird bath heater is all they need. I live in Wisconsin and the waterer works fine all winter.

One year, I wrapped it with an old soft side cooler. That probably reduced electricity a bit. This year, I just left it naked and it worked fine.

Back
Top Bottom